Mac Users

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Mac Users

Postby Bevie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:52 pm

It seems that most of the topics or questions from Mac users here are several months old so I'm starting this topic in hopes that I'll have the chance to meet other Mac ProShow Producer users.

I have a Mac 10.6 and use Parallels and Windows 7 to run Producer 5. I've been having problems in saving a show. In fact I have yet to do this. Does anyone here use Parallels? I decided on Parallels so I wouldn't have to restart my computer all the time. I have two screens and love being able to work with Photoshop on one and run a second program on my smaller monitor.

I'm past frustrated. It also turns out I need to replace my Windows 7 copy, that's one problem easily solved and I'm hoping that by some miracle that will 'fix' my 'saving 'problem - though from what I've been reading on past threads I don't think that will happen.

ProShow has been around for a while now and I'm wondering why they haven't come out with a Mac version. From what I've read on Mac forums there are people who can't wait for this to happen as nothing compares to Producer for Mac - (or else I would have bought that instead.)

Just posting to voice some frustrations.
ProShow User since 2013 - ProShow Producer 6 - Novice

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGalleryPage

Mac 10.6.8
Proshow Producer 6 - Parallels 8 - Windows 7
Photoshop CS4

Eureka

Postby Bevie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 am

After reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows 7 and talking to ProShow I've discovered that my problem was with Parallels. It seems that Parallels adds an extension onto your show files. Producer cannot recognize the changed file and therefore can't find your 'saved' slideshow.

So far it's working :D The customer service rep at ProShow 'walked' me through the process of creating folders in my Hard Drive Disk - Local Disk C: .

This is what we did.

Clicked on my Start icon in the lower left corner of my Windows screen
Clicked on Computer in the PopUp Window - right side -grey column
New Window Opens which has your Hard Disk Drives
Double Click on Hard Disk Drive - Local Disk C:
The Window will change and have a list of folders - one folder will be labeled Program Files - Double Click
Another Window with a longer list of folders - Double Click on the Pro Show Content Folder
In this folder create New Folders - make as many as you need to store your photos, videos, audio, special effects etc.
This is where you will keep everything for your shows and where Parallels can't mess with them. :P

Like I said so far so good. :P

I hope that other Mac users will join into the conversation here, as we're coming at this from a different perspective.

One piece of advice I should have followed from the start - when your stuck and need help - call ProShow and just ask. These guys are GOOD !

Thanks ProShow :D

Mac 10.6.8
Photoshop CS4

Re: Mac Users

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:31 am

On a different forum for a different piece of software, I've noticed Mac users running into "issues" that they manage to solve because there are just enough Mac people there to help. I know several are here, too, and so your idea to create a thread for bringing some of you together is excellent, given that we PC users are clueless in the Mac world. :mrgreen:

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Bevie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 pm

It's been a few months now that I've been working with Producer 5 and I am finally getting 'the hang' of it.

One thing I can't stress enough for Mac Users - if your stuck call customer service. The staff there are extremely helpful (kudos to Amanda and Rachael) . I could be stuck on a problem for hours but one phone call to customer service and I'm back on track.

Call Customer Service - you won't regret it :D

Mac 10.6.8
Photoshop CS4

Postby sacherb » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Bevie,

I have been using my mac with snow leopard 10.6.8 and parallels 8 with windows xp pro with out any of the problems you mentions in your post. The first thing is to dump windows 7 it as to many little quirts xp runs as smooth as silk. I just finish a 207 photo slide show without a hitch. I tried using windows 7 and could not finish a show without it locking up.

Herb

Postby Bevie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:50 am

Nothing like being late to the party - can you believe I just now saw your comment today :oops: I couldn't not 'not' comment back as us Mac people need to stick together :lol:
I'm still running my same set up and still hoping that Proshow will someday come out with a Mac verision but if they wait too long I won't be able to buy it as retirement is looming and I'll be watching my pennies even closer than.

Are you still using Proshow?

Mac 10.6.8
Photoshop CS4

Postby sacherb » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:49 am

Hi Bevie,
Yes I'm still using Pro Show 6, since my last post I have upgraded to Windows 7 and Parallels 10, Yosemite 10.10.2 with no problems. Just finish a slide show with stills and video mix, 45 minute show and no problems. I have a external drive with all files, images, and graphics that I use and it is formated in Windows 7 this way when I'm in Parallels using Pro Show all my work and files are available.

Herb

Postby Bevie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:49 am

Good to hear that you've upgraded and aren't having any problems with Proshow. I was reading in another thread here on ProShow Enthusiasts that Proshow usually releases a new version at fairly regular intervals and that they should be due to release another one though Proshow hasn't made a peep.

Back when Proshow released version 5 they made a comment: "We understand that Mac enthusiasts want to use our software natively without having to install Windows.....Please know that feedback on this topic is taken seriously and generates considerable internal discussion. We definitely see a native Mac version being an option in the future."

If their serious - I can't wait. It would really help lessen the expense and hassle. Here's finger's crossed :lol:

Mac 10.6.8
Photoshop CS4

Postby kabeeo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:15 am

Hi. I started a thread a few days ago because I did not see this one. The response I got from Photodex yesterday was that they have no current plans for a Mac version "but they are aware of significant demand for a Mac version and are working hard in that direction." I guess I can't hold my breath. I'm not sure what the issue can be but it is hard to believe that they haven't come out with a Mac version after all these years. At this point I may go with a Mac for other reasons and it will bum me out if I can't run Producer. It sounds like you are having success with parallels so at some point I may have to go that direction.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby daveypro » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi Bevie.
Thanks for all your info regarding not been able to retrieve saved pro shows On my iMac running Parallels with windows 8.1.

This has always been a problem for me and had become a "get to one day "problem to fix.I had contacted proshow via email and whilst there response quick and very clinical ,your step by step answer on how to make a folder in C Drive certainly was the best help online. Its interesting to note pro shows response "We understand this adds to the work flow, but this will result in a more enjoyable experience with the program and avoid common pitfalls with this software in this environment." there is no mention of a possible fix.

Oh well at least this is off my "get to one day " list

Thanks again.
Dave

Return to PSP - General Discussion