Wish I could render selected slides

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Wish I could render selected slides

Postby RickA » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:17 pm

I have frequent needs to render a portion of a show: Either I am creating a boneyard of snippets or work for clients warrants that I send them, say, just the final 30 seconds or the middle portion where a complicated transition occurs.

Premiere Elements has the WorkArea concept; to my knowledge PSP does not. Anyone have a good strategy for rendering just a portion of a show...?

Rick A.
Pleasanton CA

Re: Wish I could render selected slides

Postby debngar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Highlight the slides you wish to render, then copy (Ctl+C) them to clipboard. Close the current show, then paste (Ctl+V) into a new "partial show". Name the partial show something different than the other one. Your original show should remain intact.

The partial show can be rendered and shared just like any other show.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Boy, it's not often I get to add anything substantive to Deb's answers :)

What she said is true, but it will come with a side-effect of losing the soundtrack because the copy/paste doesn't take that along. So you're not really rendering part of the whole show unless the show has no soundtrack. Of course, if losing the soundtrack doesn't matter, then Deb's answer is both correct and complete.

But if it does matter, then you'll need to do the reverse, i.e., remove the parts you don't want (save with new name) and render what's left but you'll need to do that with both the slides and the soundtrack--they're not tightly connected while making the show. That might be easy or it might be painful depending on how many items are in the soundtrack and whether the part you want to keep starts and stops on a break in the soundtrack. But that's how I've done it so I could reuse bits of one show in another.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby debngar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Addressing the soundtrack occurred to me Dick, but I thought maybe the visual display of the small segment of slides was more important (to check captions and/or image sequence perhaps) so I chose not to address that issue, which, as you importantly pointed out is a bit more complicated process to accomplish in that case. To me, the sound track isn't always nailed down exactly as it will appear in the end product until the final rendering anyways because of little tweaks here and there that may change things a beat or two down the line.

I could be totally off by not mentioning it and so it was good that you shared that information.

Depending on the size of the show, rendering a copy of the whole show to review, noting the segments to check, might be the easiest way to approach the inclusion of the sound track, though not if it includes video clips as that tends to bog down the process a bit IMO. (My 2 cents)
Debbie

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:29 am

debngar wrote:... rendering a copy of the whole show to review, noting the segments to check, might be the easiest way to approach the inclusion of the sound track, though not if it includes video clips as that tends to bog down the process a bit...

For testing purposes, I tend to just render the whole thing to an EXE which is quick compared to rendering to a video file. But you're right, the presence of video clips might change that thought--good addition.

Typically, I would use the cut and paste, too, but losing the soundtrack can be a problem depending on why I'm doing the copy. Actually, the only time I can remember actually extracting a piece of a show (with soundtrack intact) was to save it for reuse as the basis for another one. I did it the reverse way to keep the soundtrack and occurred to me that the process might be worth pointing out. After doing a few shows, I started saving the opening sequence for ones I particularly liked so I could pick one up again and start with that already in place. I also saved a couple standard closing sequences (credits and such) for reuse, no soundtrack but still useful. I'm sure everyone does something similar.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby im42n8 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 am

OR, you could use Debbie's idea with a little twist. In this case, you're creating a Project. Now, you can easily and quickly go back and forth between the two and make any necessary or desired adjustments.

Process to follow:
1) Select the slides you want to render and hit CTRL-C (to Copy)
2) Right click next to the existing shows name and "Add New Show"
3) Give the show a name in "Show title"
4) Change the Aspect Ratio if you want
5) Click on "Create"
6) CTRL-V (to paste)
7) Save Show
8) click on Publish tab and render as desired.

Dale

PS As for the soundtrack, it depends on what you're trying to do whether you need it or not. Regardless, if the selected slides are somewhere in the middle of the soundtrack you're still going to have to adjust the soundtracks' offset to place it in the same location as in the original show relative to the selected slides.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:19 am

With ProShow, there's nearly always more ways to get there. :)

Dick

Postby debngar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 am

im42n8 wrote:OR, you could use Debbie's idea with a little twist. In this case, you're creating a Project. Now, you can easily and quickly go back and forth between the two and make any necessary or desired adjustments.

Process to follow:
1) Select the slides you want to render and hit CTRL-C (to Copy)
2) Right click next to the existing shows name and "Add New Show"
3) Give the show a name in "Show title"
4) Change the Aspect Ratio if you want
5) Click on "Create"
6) CTRL-V (to paste)
7) Save Show
8) click on Publish tab and render as desired.

Dale

PS As for the soundtrack, it depends on what you're trying to do whether you need it or not. Regardless, if the selected slides are somewhere in the middle of the soundtrack you're still going to have to adjust the soundtracks' offset to place it in the same location as in the original show relative to the selected slides.

Since the original post was located in the PSGold section, I assumed the PROJECT feature was still not available for the user to take advantage of in this case.
Debbie

Postby im42n8 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 am

Gold still does not have a project feature. This thread had been moved to the Producer section by the time I responded. I didn't know it'd been moved until after my response.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby debngar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 am

im42n8 wrote:Gold still does not have a project feature. This thread had been moved to the Producer section by the time I responded. I didn't know it'd been moved until after my response.

Dale

Didn't notice it was moved at all until you posted the above information else I would have mentioned the project feature too. :roll: LOL
Debbie

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Yeah, somebody (me) was a little slow noticing the OP mentioned PSP -- Dale's answer did it in fact. Late, but I thought it better to move it anyway. At least this way both Gold and Producer users get answers so it works out okay I guess. :?

Dick

Return to PSP - General Discussion