Can't find my folders or pictures

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Can't find my folders or pictures

Postby min » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:33 pm

I have just been asked to make a show for my aunts funeral. I haven't made a show for a few months. When I opened Producer my "Folder List" is completely empty, I have tried everything and scrolling up and down in that box there is nothing at all. I hope it is just some stupid thing I may have done - I did this week for the first time convert a few old shows to Vimeo - but I don't think that would have caused it????? Please can anyone help me. Although I have had Producer for a long time, I'm not very experienced. :?
Last edited by min on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Help urgently needed

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Can you see your pictures if you browse that same folder in Windows?

If you can, then in Producer it's just a matter of refreshing the previews. Producer is rather notorious for that.
In Producer, close that folder, and scroll to the root directory. Then come back to your folder and try to reopen it.
Can you see your pictures now?

PS:
You may wish to edit the subject of your post, and to change it to something more meaningful, such as "Can't see my pictures" This will help others in their searches. "Help needed" is not very "helpful" :D

Re: Can't find my folders or pictures

Postby min » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks Cherub for replying - unfortunately I have no pictures on the screen or in any of the boxes, the Folder File is completely empty + the section under that where the photos are normally displayed. I'm sorry I don't know how to find the "Root Directory" - I am not very clued up with computers. Can you tell me please. Thank you I have changed the Subject title.
In windows on my computer I have all my files and pictures but they are not appearing in the folder list so I can select one when I open Producer ?

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:32 pm

So, you can see your pictures in Windows. That' good. It means that you haven't lost anything :D

What I meant above is this:
While in Producer, try to close folders in your browsing folders. Just press on the little triangle that you see on the left of your folders. If the folder is closed, you will see a white triangle. If the folder is open, you will see a black triangle, slightly turned. Just go and close folders, until you reach a "main branch" in your "tree of folders". Then, just open them again, until your reach your folder with your pictures.
Let me know if this helped.

Postby min » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Thank you for your help Cherub. Yes on my computer I can access My Documents and My Picture files - When I go to Producer to start a new show (not using the wizard) I would usually go the the section "Folders List" in Producer and browse through the list of folders in that section in Producer to find the folder containing the photos I want to use - but there is nothing there, the box is empty - I'm sorry I can't see any little triangles?? Is there anything else maybe I can do? Thanks for taking the time to help me

Postby Anna J » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:25 pm

In Producer, did you try going to Window > Show > File Folder and making sure a gremlin has not turned it off?
Anna

Postby psychogramma » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Try looking in the top menu: Window/Show, Is folder list checked? If not check it.

Cathy

:-) Yes, what Anna said...

Postby min » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Thank you for your reply - yes I tried what you said - at the top of producer I went into Window/show/folders - yes it has a tick so I guess I can't blame those gremlins - must be me?????? any other suggestions please? and thanks

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:06 pm

min wrote: I'm sorry I can't see any little triangles?? Is there anything else maybe I can do? Thanks for taking the time to help me

In Poducer 4.5, instead of triangles, you will see + (plus) if the folder is closed, and - (minus) if the folder is open.
Please try to play with opening and closing folders.
Can you see other pictures, in other folders where you know that you have pictures?

Postby min » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Cherub once again thank you for your reply
In the past I know exactly what you are saying when you open Producer to start a show you get the list of the folders & files you have in the "folders list in Producer" - some have + some - and if you click on the + it takes you into that particular folder and the files in that folder and the you can click on the file you want and the pictures load into the box in producer under the Folders List, so you can click on the relevant picture and it goes into the slide list for sorting out the style you want to use. I now don't have in producer any of these folders to select from, they have just vanished. When going into Producer - the Folder List box is completely empty, there are no folders to select or any + to click to open the files so the pictures in files appear in producer ready to select which ones to use.

This list of folder/files with their + and - signs are the ones I am trying to find - where they have disappeared to.

Thank you again for trying to help me - I don't know what I can do...??????any other suggestions please.

Postby cherub » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:12 am

There are two things that come to my mind, but I'm a bit hesitant to recommend them to you because you said that you are "not very clued up with computers" .

The first thing is this:
Close Producer.
With Windows Explorer, delete the following files from the program directory
proshow.cfg
proshow.phd

This will cause the program to refresh its memory of your computer and to revert to its defaults.
When you next open Producer, these files will be recreated.

Second thing is to reinstall the program.

Postby min » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 am

Thank you Cherub for your suggestions - yes the last thing I want to do is to re-install Producer again and then have to add all the additional styles etc.

You suggested with Windows Explorer delete proshow.cfg and proshow .phd from the program directory.

How do I do that? know it is probably a stupid question, but I haven't a clue. With Proshow closed (as suggested) where do I go to carry out what you have said.?

Thank you

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:40 am

With Proshow closed (as suggested) where do I go to carry out what you have said.?

In Windows XP and in Windows Explorer, open Program Files, and in Windows 7, open Program Files (x86). From there, open the Photodex folder and then click on the Producer folder. Look through the files listed to find proshow.cfg and proshow.phd. Make sure you delete just those two files.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:53 am

Depending on how your machine is set up in Windows, some of the programme files may be "hidden" files and you may have to accept a warning box to be able to access these files.

As long as you are careful and do not delete or change anything else deleting the two files suggested will be quite safe.

Dave

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:23 am

Another hidden trap, is to ensure 'show file extensions' is ticked in 'Control Panel > Folder Options > View' as you will not see the extension after the 'dot'.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion