Can't find my folders or pictures

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Re: Can't find my folders or pictures

Postby cherub » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:46 am

As I said before, deleting program files might be a bit complicated for someone who is not very proficient with his computer. There is a reason that Microsoft decided to show files without extensions by default, and there is a reason for hiding system files by default.

To min:
I think that it's better to call Photodex Support during their working hours, and to ask them to troubleshoot you.

Postby min » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Thank you so much everyone for trying to help me - I just went into the Forum now am. West Australian time, and I read all your comments - I must admit I was terrified at the thought of following the instructions - it seems very complicated for an inexperienced computer user. Maybe I should take Cherubs advice and contact Support in case there is another solution which I could do that is easier. Maybe even the thought of reinstalling may be an easier option??

Postby Anna J » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:08 pm

What happens if you open an old show you made?
Anna

Postby min » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Anna J thank you so much for still trying to help me - I have opened other shows I have made and they open perfectly but the Folder list window is blank and so is the winder under it where the photos normally are.
I just tried again to make sure - the show loads in the slide list with the music and plays perfectly - however, still no listing of my picture or document files in the 'FOLDERS LIST" and no photo's for viewing in the box under the Folders List for selecting (as you can't select the file you want to use if you wanted to add one or change one - They also have vanished.
Therefore if I want to and I do want to make a new show - I can't via the "Folders List" select my file to bring the photos into Producer I want to work with.
Thank you Anna for your help - you have no idea how grateful I am - any suggestions? Thank you.

Postby dsprincis » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 am

One more suggestion: choose the window tab and then select - Default Window Layout (Ctrl-Shift-Alt-0).

Postby min » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am

Thank you for taking the trouble to help me - I did as you said Windows and press default windows setting - closed Producer and reopened and still nothing in the FOLDERS LIST - OR the pictures for using. I reloaded an old show again and it still works. Thanks for helping.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 am

Periodically, those two files you've been told to delete get corrupted, and there are only two ways to deal with it, one being to delete them, and the other to reinstall Producer, which accomplishes exactly the same thing. I know it's a scary thought to do either of these things if it's something you've never done before, but it's what Photodex has taught us to do, and it's likely what they'll suggest. You can, of course, reinstall Producer right over the top of itself, never uninstalling your current version, if you're more comfortable doing this, but it's far quicker and easier to just delete those two files.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby min » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:24 am

Thank you Barbara for coming back to help me - over the years when I occassionally go into the forum I see you are always there with useful and helpful advise for others. I really appreciate you are trying to help me. I'm not sure if I have in the past week or so, done something stupid - I feel I may have changed something in the files accidently, although Proshow Producer works perfectly with some of my old shows I have tried (but of course nothing in the Folders List or where the photos below this should be showing, its just when I need to do a new show. You mentioned re-installing producer right over the top of itself never uninstalling my current version (think I may have done that in the past when I paid for upgrades, or got free upgrades - my biggest concern here is if it is not currently working ie I haven't the file/folders in the Folder list for me to select the file I want - then I can't import my photos to be able to select for a new show - would the same problem still be there.? ???

You said it is far quicker and easier to delete those 2 file - Barbara - I haven't a clue where to find them or how to go about doing that!!!know it probably sounds stupid to you. When you know a lot about something..ie proshow, it is probably hard to realise a lot of the things people say just do this....is kind of hard when you are not very computer experienced. (guess its the age unfortunately for me) computers are a new thing I am still trying to master.

Once again thank you - I am going off line now and will look in the morning. Thank you so much for your help.
Shirley

Postby tdew » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:32 am

Hi Min,

I'm not sure if you tried this or not, and I use version 5 of Producer, so somethings could be a little different.
However, If you go to Edit and then Preferences, and then appearance, on the right there is a check list that you can either check or uncheck. Try checking something like "Bold folder names" and see if that makes a difference.

An alternative, if you just want to work on a show before you can contact ProShow for support, is to open the folder you want to use in Windows explorer and select your photos there - then drag them over to ProShow's open screen.

Postby trulytango » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:39 am

min wrote: I haven't a clue where to find them or how to go about doing that!!!

Hello Shirley

If you click on your 'Start' button on your taskbar, you should see a 'Search' feature - look for a box accompanied by a magnifying glass - into that box you can type the name of a particular file and Windows will find it for you. In the case of those two Prowshow files, they are unique to your Photodex program... when Windows displays the file name in the results panel, you can safely right-click the file and choose 'Delete'.

In short, do a search for each of those files in turn, typing the file names exactly as Cherub gave them to you, and delete them with a right-click when Windows finds them for you. Thereafter launch Proshow, which will generate new versions of each file upon opening.
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:46 am

Shirley, we all understand what you're going through. We each have areas in which we're "experts," but we each also have areas that confuse and frustrate us. No one is looking at you as if you're stupid, so don't worry about that.

Do you by any chance know someone who's more used to computers than you are and who can perhaps come visit (pay this person with a nice slice of cake or pie), and hold your hand through this? It's so much easier to learn new things when someone is right there with you and not just words on a screen.

It WILL get solved! :D

Barbara

Postby Anna J » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:08 am

I have to work all day today so can't do it, but does anyone else want to volunteer to make a video tutorial with screen shots showing how to delete the cfg & phd files from the Photodex file? Or has Jennifer already posted one? I'll do a search & see
Anna

Postby trulytango » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:59 am

If you fancy going down the 'Search' route - I put a couple of screenshots up on my blog... they're too big to insert into this post

http://trulytangoscraps.wordpress.com/delete-files-via-search-feature/
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Esteemed Member

Postby Aida » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:45 am

I haven't a clue where to find them or how to go about doing that!!!

Shirley, here's what I've been doing for the last couple of years whenever I have to delete those - at times pesky! - proshow.phd & proshow.cfg files:

*** First, right click on the ProShow icon:

*** Now you'll see a window - click on PROPERTIES. This will open a window with the title PROSHOW PRODUCER PROPERTIES. Scroll down to OPEN FILE LOCATION & click on it:

*** And voilà! A list of all the proshow files. You'll easily find the proshow.phd & proshow.cfg files. Now you can delete those two files:

Hope you'll find this useful.
-aida
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must
carry it with us or we find it not." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:27 am

Aida, that was excellent.

Shirley, follow Aida's instructions, but before you do, go into Windows Explorer and click on "Tools" at the top. In the drop-down menu, click on "Folder Options." You'll see a little window with tabs. Click on the "View" tab. Make sure that "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" is selected. Just a tad below that is "Hide extensions for known file types." Make sure it's NOT checked. If it is, click on it to uncheck it.

So it's Tools > Folder Options > View tab
Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"
Deselect "Hide extensions for known file types"

Be confident. The world will not blow up if you do these things. :D

Barbara

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - General Discussion