Screen resolution

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Screen resolution

Postby Pauline Collins » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi again everyone. This might seem a strange question and sorry if it is but can someone help me please.
What is the best scren resolution for viewing and designing a show in PSP (4.5) for ratio 19:6 that also suits slide styles by Choice Backgrounds - Photodex and other 3rd parties.

I use to find it so easy to work with but since the stroke something does not seem the same since having Windows 7 installed and that is the only thing I can put it down to - other than me lol

Thanks again to all you wonderful members who have helped me so much in the past 5 years or more.

Cheers Pauline

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Screen resolution

Postby DickK » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:19 pm

There are a couple thing you might be asking about and I'm not sure which but I''ll give it a shot and you can see if anything applies.

Two general answers first. Your monitor should be ideally be set to whatever it's native resolution is--that will give the best results no matter what you're doing. Second, output from ProShow should, ideally, match the device that will be displaying the show--and if you're making a show for your own screen, then that native resolution value is also the ideal value for an EXE or video output other than a DVD.

Assuming the monitor is set correctly, the other resolution issue I can think of is what to use for preview window and that's mostly personal preference. Higher values are better, but mean the computer has to handle more pixels in real time while rendering the preview. Depending on the computer, you might see some less than smooth motion with it set high (a large fraction of the monitor's native value) or you might not.

Hopefully some thing in there addressed your question --

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Pauline Collins » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Thank you Dick for your fast reply.
Sorry but the old brain cannot work out what you mean by "native screen resolution"
I just kno2 that way back my ProShow preview screen use to be so easy to view slides while working on a show but since having a computer upgrad and Windows 7 installed things just don't appearas easy anymore that is the same as doing a new show I cannot find most of my favourite Styles in my list. So frustrating, now it takes me ages to do a Show and tweek aand re-tweek.
Like I said Dick the brain does not work the same anymore, but keeping on doing Shows keeps my brain active and hopefully help to heal the missing parts (maybe that has gone where my Slide Styles are hiding :)
Thanks again
Pauline

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Assuming you're using a flat panel LCD display it has a preferred resolution. The documentation that came with it should indicate what it was and Win7 can usually detect it via the video card. Just right-click on your desktop and launch the Screen Resolution item. There's a resolution pull-down menu, it will show the resolutions your monitor/video card will support and one of them should be marked as "recommended." At least that's the way it works on the installations I've used.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Pauline Collins » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 am

Thank you so much Dick. That makes it clearer for me.
Cheers Pauline

Return to PSP - General Discussion