video and sound editing

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

video and sound editing

Postby Alycs82 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi there!

I`m new to proshow and i`d like to create a movie. So I add some video clips but i don`t know how to delete some unwanted scenes.

Example , i have a 3 minute video clip and i want to only trim it to few seconds.

Will you pls tell me how to split or trim video clips?

Will you pls tell where can i find the tutorials more about video editing in Photodex Proshow.

I`d like to create a 10 minute movie/slideshow for my daughter from newborn to present :)

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
melissa

Re: video and sound editing

Postby SherryJB » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi Melissa -

If your clips are short, you can edit them right in Producer. A good place to start is to read the section in the User's Manual. You can download a copy here: http://kb.photodex.com. A quick explanation of video editing begins on page 190.

If your clip is long, you might want to consider trimming it in a video editing software.

That should help you get started. Come back for more help if you need it.

Sherry B.

Postby GregGp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Melissa,
Welcome! You will find this board to be a helpful and friendly resource even when psp doesnt seem to be as friendly. With the wealth of experienced users there can be 1, 2, or 3 ways of doing things and its a continous journey in learning the ins and outs of the program.

In answer to your question, there are 2 ways of editing your video clip. A) Trim it in a video editing program or B) Trim it in proshow - click on the layers tab, click on the video settings tab, on the upper left ther is a button called trim video, and then you can set the beginning and end points. Be sure to adjust the slide length for the video length.

My suggestion is to use a video editing program if you have one as psp can get fidgity when there are video clips in the program and if you are trimming out a major chunk of of the video your leaving excess baggage for the program to trip over when its time to render the show.
- Looks like this duplicate advice as Sherry just responded, guess it just reinforces the solution :lol:
Greg
GregGp

Postby Alycs82 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:39 am

To Sherry and Greg,

Thank you so much for your help. I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio version 10 software and the reason i didn`t edit the video clips from Sony was that because i`m not sure if it`s ok to transfer the edited video to Proshow.

I will do your suggestions and i`ll come back when i`ve got more questions . Thanks again and best regards.

Melissa

Postby adami » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Hi,

I also have a question regarding video, but I didn`t want to start new thread as I found this one :-)
I edited my video in Sony Vegas. Each clip have from 4 to 10sec.
My problem is what video size to render. Should it be for BD, DVD or just small AVI file or mp4?

Thank You

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:18 am

The best way to edit is the one that does the least damage to the video clip. Probably the best thing to do is match your format to the output format you are going to use to try and avoid re-compression of the clip. Some highly compressed formats can be quite destructive when you run the source through and compress it again. Something like the normal DV format, has each frame compressed, but independent of the others, so it is easy to simply edit a chunk out without damaging the rest of the video. Mpeg4 (or mpeg2) stuff has inter-related frames (image data is in multiple frames) and as such is more difficult to edit without affecting the rest of the video. I know that wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, but the real answer is "it depends"

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby adami » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Thank you. What I want to do with it, is to put into short clip next to photos. Not need to be on full screen

Return to PSP - General Discussion