Mask or else?

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Esteemed Member

Mask or else?

Postby marjolijn1957 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:51 am

I'm a new member of this forum. I'm from The Netherlands so I hope you understand my English is not so good everone is used here.

I started working with PSP three weeks ago. I first used PhotoStory, Wondershare en Windows Movie Maker to make slide shows. So I'm not quite a starter.
I now have a question about a vid some one has made but she has difficulties to explain it to me.
The link for the vid is this one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/warga29#p/u/3/_HV7ULiAtik

She use a picture of a horse on the left side, I think this one is a mask. I would like to make a vid using this method but I don't know how.
I searched on this forum and read the manual but I don't find an answer.

So I hope I made myself clear and when I'm lucky somebody can explain in to me.
Thanks in advance

Re: Mask or else?

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:52 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The effect that you are showing can be done either with a mask, or with a frame prepared in a graphic editor and inserted in Producer. By frame I mean a graphic file that supports transparency, such as png.
Personally, I think it's the latter case.

As you say, the left side is static throughout the show while the right side has transparency, letting the second picture to be viewed through it:
Layer 1 - frame with horse on the left and transparency on the right
Layer 2 - a picture with a slight zooming motion

If you want to make a similar thing using only Producer, by using masks (with no frame made in a graphic editor), have a look at the built-in style Gradient Blend.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:00 am

Just like Mona, I think it can be done with a frame setup, but in watching the edges very carefully, I suspect the person used a mask:

Layer 1: Mask (on right-side portion)
Layer 2: The photo (the one that changes from slide to slide)
Layer 3: The image of the horse that shows consistently on the left

Mona's suggestion of using the Gradient Blend style is excellent and may be your best choice until you gain experience with masking.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:05 am

I also looks like it could be something as simple as a vignette around the top image, too. You can do that by going to Layers >> Editing. Click on the vignette check box and then modify the settings to suit the need.

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:11 am

moehler wrote:I also looks like it could be something as simple as a vignette around the top image, too. You can do that by going to Layers >> Editing. Click on the vignette check box and then modify the settings to suit the need.

At first I thought so too, but then I noticed that the second image zooms in.
If you use only a vignette, with no mask, or no frame, then the vignette edges will get smaller and smaller when you zoom in.

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:57 am

Thanks everybody for your answers.
I'm gonna try the different options.

I tried it with the layer option but I did't know that the static layer must be layer 3.
Now I know with options there are,I can ask her what she used. She understand English good but her vocubulary
is not as good as she wishes.

I use the vids I make on my YouTube channel. Feel free to look.

http://www.youtube.com/user/marjolijn1957?feature=mhum

Postby im42n8 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 am

I suspect that there is a background image that fills the entire screen. On top of this is a vignetted/feathered mask through which the right hand images are displayed. On top of this at the left is either a vignetted image (edited in an image editor) or a vignetted/feathered mask on an image.

At any rate, the effect is very simple to create. Shouldn't be a problem.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:44 am

@ Dale.

I persume that it isn't a problem for experienced users. Despite I have experience with other slide show makers I'm a starter with PSP.

First I have to find out what a vignetted image is or a vignetted feathered mask. :D
Because this program is not as common in Holland as it is in de USA or other countries there aren't any Dutch tutorials or anything else. That's the difficulty. But I'll found out what all these terms means. ( I hope :roll: )

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:04 am

A vignetted image is one where its edges have been softened, either by shading those edges with a gradient or by fading out the edges into transparency. A good example of this in photography is where someone's portrait darkens around the face until, on the outer edges, its black.

What Dale means when he talks about "feathering" is the slow transition from a solid color into total transparency.

If what I've said doesn't translate well for you, let us know, and we'll happily try different explanations. I'm sure this is something you actually know all about, but language is getting in the way.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:24 am

Thank yoy Barbara.
I understand the explanations but because PSP is much more complicated then Wondershare and Movie Maker I'll have to try all the terms first before I understand what is meant by something. So, it takes a little longer before I've tried something. I'll have to look to the things everbody suggested and then look in the program. Otherwise I learn a lot. Not only to understand the program but also my English :D

Esteemed Member

Postby WBD » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:33 am

Where is "anitaemile" when you need her. She is from the Netherlands if I remember correctly, and is very skilled with PSP.
Bruce

Postby anitaemile » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:38 am

Hey you all, I am right here, but I don't sleep with my computer..

Marjolijn, : je kunt me altijd emailen als je vragen hebt. IN het nederlands dus..

ANita.

I guess Marjolijn got quite some responses, and it;'s kind of rude to write some Dutch explanation on the forum pages. You might think I'm telling funny stories about you guys, without you knowing :D

A.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:43 am

Marjolijn, you're in luck! Anita will be a lot better than the rest of us at explaining things to you.

Anita, go right ahead and speak Dutch. What we don't know can't hurt us. :D

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:03 am

BarbaraC wrote:Marjolijn, you're in luck! Anita will be a lot better than the rest of us at explaining things to you.

Anita, go right ahead and speak Dutch. What we don't know can't hurt us. :D

Barbara

I've to say that I'm really surprised by the quick and adequate answers I get on this forum. I even got an mail of an member so he can me send mask etc.
I'm happy here :o and it's not my style gossip ore, as Anita says, tell funny stories :D :D :D

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:35 am

Hurray!!!!!! With all your suggestions I've reached what I want. If you know how its always simple.
Finally I used the build-in gradient mask blend and changed some settings.
Layer 1: Mask
Layer 2; the picture that must stay
Layer 3: the picture I want to change.

As Bart wrote to me in an email: I over complicate it in my mind.
When I'm ready with my vid about the orchids I will post the link in this topic. It can take a while.

Thanks again

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion