DVD menu procedure questions

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

DVD menu procedure questions

Postby jonP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:10 pm

First off, let me give a huge THANK YOU to all who contributed and collated the information contained in the outstanding Forum Book posted under the member contributions section. In the 48 hours I've had my mitts on it I have found so many wonderful guidelines, procedures and suggestions that have cleared up many areas I was previously unsure about. I only wish I knew about it a few months ago when I first began using PSP.

The DVD menuing articles cover the basics about customizing screens but going a little deeper... While working on a large DVD project containing numerous shows, I've been struggling with a couple of procedural issues that make me question whether I'm doing things properly.

My menu structure contains 3 screens each with separate background images. They render correctly when I use use the simple 5-line text layout format across all of them however what if I want to have 4 lines on the first page, 6 lines on the 2nd page and maybe 5 lines on the third. When I use the captions screens to manually make these changes it crashed the rendering process. I haven't tried this using an icon-based layout yet so I don't know if that would affect anything but I would doubt it. Is this something I should be able to do or is it part of the design that all pages must have the same layout format?

The other issue concerns modifying an existing project, for example adding an additional show to a previously-designed project and then using the same menu that I'd saved off as a .mnu file. That too seems to break the rendering. The 5-line layout always seems to pick up the newly-added show while previewing, it just won't render the menu and crashes very early in the process. However if I reset it to the default and create a brand new menu from scratch, making it identical to the saved .mnu version, that works. Should I be able to add the additional show or do I always need to make a new menu if a show is added? Basically it would be nice to be able to make partial DVDs using the same .mnu file repeatedly as this long project proceeds.

Jon

Return to PSP - General Discussion