Using modifiers

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

Using modifiers

Postby proullard » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 am

I have an image that has candlelight. I want to be able to set up a modifier so that the candles become brighter or glow. How do I set up a modifier and what would I do in my specific desired effect?

Phil

Re: Using modifiers

Postby debngar » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Gold doesn't have the modifiers feature. To get that tool you'll have to buy Producer.

(For those reading this thread late - the thread was originally posted in the GOLD section) :|
Last edited by debngar on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby proullard » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:43 am

I have Producer already, that is why I was asking.

Postby Astra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:27 pm

You've moved it to correct thread - good.
Alexandra
Last edited by Astra on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby JLAA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:50 pm

It's in the producer section on my computer and appeared to have been from the outset so that seems to have been a rude reception to this post. Unfortunately this question can only be answered in what might appear an unhelpful way, it's too detailed a subject for a quick reply. Have you looked at the help pages on modifiers? If you are stuck, ask a more specific question and someone might me able to help.

John

Postby Ron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi Phil
I will try at least to get you started. But first a small comment - I followed this thread from the beginning and I didn't feel anyone was rude just direct. Yes the post was in PSG & Mike (Admin) moved it to the proper location. With that said here goes.
First I am no expert on modifiers but I thought I would try to get you started. You need to get the flame on a separate layer. Using an image editor carefully cut it out. If you have Photoshop you could just use the lasso tool & go around the flame then hit Contol+J to select it to its own layer and save it as its own photo. Then import both files into Producer with the flame only layer on top. This gives you full control of the flame without affecting the rest of the photo. Then with the flame only layer selected, place a modifier under adjustment effects on the brightness (right click the % box and add modifier). This opens the modifier window. Place a tick in Amount from function & choose Sine Wave, then play with the settings until you get the desired effect. You can play the slide from this window to see the effect. To me its a lot of trial & error - You could play with the Cosine settings as well - I can't get more specific because thats as far as my knowledge goes, but I did create this effect in the past and it worked out well.
Hope I didn't ramble and at least you could attempt it on your own. If you have any specific questions while your playing around feel free to ask.
Enjoy Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby robflores » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:15 am

Check out:
http://choicebackgroundsserver.com/arti ... cles_id=11
Its a short tutorial on modifies.

_rob

Postby debngar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 am

JLAA wrote:It's in the producer section on my computer and appeared to have been from the outset so that seems to have been a rude reception to this post. Unfortunately this question can only be answered in what might appear an unhelpful way, it's too detailed a subject for a quick reply. Have you looked at the help pages on modifiers? If you are stuck, ask a more specific question and someone might me able to help.

John

Hello John,

Though I cannot prove it at this point, now that the thread has been moved to the appropriate Producer section by the moderator, I can assure you this was posted in the Gold section in the beginning. In fact, at the time of this post, all the other posts from this person (no disrespect meant at all) have been in the Gold section as well. I checked and double checked. This is why I posted as I did because it seemed pointless to respond with specifics on modifiers, (sharing tutorial links or whatever), if the person only owned Gold and consequently didn't have the modifier tool to achieve the desired results. :roll:

Occasionally, Gold users have been known to do those things, asking how to do something, not knowing they can't achieve it without having purchased Producer.

Again, my purpose for pointing this out is not to disrespect or embarrass any of the Gold users, just stating some facts.

Normally, "moved" posts have a big RED :arrow: arrow next to them. For some reason, this one does not. :(
Debbie

Postby Astra » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:59 am

Debbie,
I second this - this post was originaly in "Gold".
Also I've changed my (reaction to the) post accordingly - to confirm, that post has been assigned to proper area.

Alexandra

Postby VidQueen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:37 am

robflores wrote:Check out:
http://choicebackgroundsserver.com/arti ... cles_id=11
Its a short tutorial on modifies.

_rob

Ditto what Rob said :wink:

If you follow that tutorial to make your candle flicker, just add the modifier to the Brightness or White Point Setting in the Adjustment Effects tab, instead of a motion attribute in the Motion Effects tab.

I would add a Random Function to make the flickering a little more realistic :D

Jennifer

Valued Member

Postby proullard » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Wow, thanks to all who responded especially Ron, John, Rob & Jennifer (vid queen). With all of that help I should be able to make the candles flicker in the image.

Phil

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 pm

debngar wrote:Normally, "moved" posts have a big RED :arrow: arrow next to them. For some reason, this one does not. :(

If a post is in the wrong section and doesn't serve the people that normally view the original section the moved thread will not have an arrow. In this case the thread relates to modifiers, so Gold users don't really benefit from the discussion so I moved the thread without leaving a shadow behind for others to follow along. Hope that makes sense.

Mike

Postby debngar » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:08 am

MG - Admin wrote:
debngar wrote:Normally, "moved" posts have a big RED :arrow: arrow next to them. For some reason, this one does not. :(

If a post is in the wrong section and doesn't serve the people that normally view the original section the moved thread will not have an arrow. In this case the thread relates to modifiers, so Gold users don't really benefit from the discussion so I moved the thread without leaving a shadow behind for others to follow along. Hope that makes sense.

Mike

Yes, that makes sense! Thanks. :)
Debbie

Valued Member

Postby malliekm » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:17 am

Wow, I just found yet another layer of Producer that, if not for this forum, would have NEVER been uncovered by the likes of ME! And...I DID it! :) Thanks Ron! I happened to have a closeup photo (taken without flash) of a candle that was in the middle of our dining table on a recent cruise. I used PSE to lasso the flame (and it's glow) using a 9px feather.
Made my size adjustments so it would fit right over the original, adjusted the motion so it would stay in one place and then added the modifiers...modifiers, who knew! :lol: I used the "Random" modifier for a more realistic "flicker" and reduced the opacity to 50%. It's probably not perfect but I'm freakin' impressed! :lol: I uploaded my results on YouTube but it's not "ready" yet. How long should it take?? It's been at least 30 minutes. It's a 3mb file.
Here is the upload link to YouSendIt. I know not everyone will be comfortable downloading the proshow.exe file. That's OK.
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php? ... R2V4dnc9PQ

BTW, what would be some examples of other uses for these modifiers?

Ron wrote:Hi Phil
I will try at least to get you started. But first a small comment - I followed this thread from the beginning and I didn't feel anyone was rude just direct. Yes the post was in PSG & Mike (Admin) moved it to the proper location. With that said here goes.
First I am no expert on modifiers but I thought I would try to get you started. You need to get the flame on a separate layer. Using an image editor carefully cut it out. If you have Photoshop you could just use the lasso tool & go around the flame then hit Contol+J to select it to its own layer and save it as its own photo. Then import both files into Producer with the flame only layer on top. This gives you full control of the flame without affecting the rest of the photo. Then with the flame only layer selected, place a modifier under adjustment effects on the brightness (right click the % box and add modifier). This opens the modifier window. Place a tick in Amount from function & choose Sine Wave, then play with the settings until you get the desired effect. You can play the slide from this window to see the effect. To me its a lot of trial & error - You could play with the Cosine settings as well - I can't get more specific because thats as far as my knowledge goes, but I did create this effect in the past and it worked out well.
Hope I didn't ramble and at least you could attempt it on your own. If you have any specific questions while your playing around feel free to ask.
Enjoy Ron

Postby Ron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:30 am

Hey Phil
I just watched your video and man did that suck :D :D just kidding !
It's probably not perfect

Come on !! That was perfect !!
You did a great job !!
I'm glad it all worked out for you
Ron
Other uses? I did a Lightning Halloween effect. I saw eyes in a picture going back & forth. There are many uses I just named a couple. With a little Creativity & Imagination its an open book.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion