Locking start and end positions?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Locking start and end positions?

Postby Nelson » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi folks,

Let's see if I can describe what I'm trying to do here. This is basic usage. Often I'll pan a slide and then the next image is the same slide without any motion. That is, the pan stops, enters the next slide, and doesn't move for some time.

On the Motion Effects dialog I'll match the ending motion of the pan with the start motion of the stationary slide. Then I'll "Copy Start to End" so there is no movement on that stationary image. So far, so good.

The problem comes if I change the ending pan position. The starting position of the stationary image lines up (it is matched), but the ending position still has the old location, which causes the second slide to pan slightly, unless I do another "Copy Start to End".

Is there a way to lock the start and end positions so that there is no need to do the additional "Copy Start to End" on the non-moving slide?

Thanks!
Nelson

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Locking start and end positions?

Postby TinaJ » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:05 am

Instead of copying your slide and then fixing the second one, you could try 'copy end to next slide.' That makes where ever you ended your pan show up without any pan. I don't tend to use this feature much, as I usually put all my pics in first and then work backwards, and when I use this feature it adds to the next slide instead of creating a new slide.
TinaJ
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 am

Nelson,

I think we're doing the same thing but we may be going about it differently. What I'll have is a 3-slide sequence. First and last stationary, the middle one has the motion. The two on the ends define start and end positions (and have no motion in them), then I'll use the match next and match prior functions to set the middle slide's start & end. If I adjust one end slide or the other, the one in the middle should adjust with it since it's start of one is connected to the end of the prior one and it's end it connected to the start of the following one. That doesn't completely lock things--but it might get what you were looking for, I'm not sure.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Nelson » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:27 am

Thanks for the replies.

Both of those techniques sound better than what I'm doing. I think I'll try Dick's first. That has the added advantage of giving a buffer slide on either side for precise soundtrack sync timing. I could of course change the motion time itself but sometimes it's nice having the buffers.

This came up when I made a show for a recent Wind River Range backpack trip in 4:3 mode. I wanted to also produce a version in widescreen 16:9 mode. This caused all the panning to need a tweaking, so I was doing this a lot.

BTW, If there are backpackers in the audience, add the Wind Rivers to your list, they are awesome!

Thanks again guys.

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks