text appear one at a time

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
cassiestark

text appear one at a time

Postby cassiestark » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 pm

ok i am brand new to this program and i already have questions on the title slide. i have three words on my title slide and i want them to come into my slide individually one at a time. there has got to be a trick to this because i have seen it done and i just can't seem to figure it out. so any advice would be great.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: text appear one at a time

Postby briancbb » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:54 am

Cassie

Welcome to the forum.

This would probably be a lot easier in Producer, with keyframes, than in Gold, but here is a quick explanation of how I would do it with three slides.

Slide one, your picture and the first word of your caption. Ensure the caption is placed in the correct position for your other words to be added. Also ensure the icon in the caption list (the third one) has the T slightly hidden, or your caption will disappear durin the transition.

Now right click on this first slide in the timeline and select 'copy'.

Move to your second slide position in the timeline and right click and chose 'paste'. You now have and copy of the first slide in which to add, and align the second word of your title ..... and so on.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:12 am

Cassie --
Welcome! What Brian outlined will work and might be the way you'd want to do it. However, as usual there's more than one way to get to the same spot. Here's another, simpler way if all the words are on one line:

Make a slide that has the full caption on it and in the position where you want it at the end. If there are three words then make three copies of that, four slides total. Set the transitions between these to be cut/zero sec length.
#1 has the caption turned off
#2 has the caption on but erase the last two words
#3 has the caption on and has the last word erased
#4 has the caption on with all words visible
The time on screen time for #1, #2, #3 will control how fast the words pop up. Set the time on screen time for #4 for long enough to see all of them.

Okay, now there's one more bit you need to consider: the text effects on the caption dialog. In this case, set all of the fly-in and fly-out effects to none. Each word will simply appear.

Not what you want? If you want a caption fly-in effect, then each word needs to be a separate caption so it can have it's own effect--that's what Brian described and it's more flexible. But I'd still work backward, build a slide with all three captions (1 word each) on it; make 3 copies and work backward turning each of them off until the first slide had none turned on. Now you set a fly-in effect on each slide where a word appears (first three).

That's it--simple once you've seen and done it. And it is a basic technique that applies to lots of things you do in PSG: build the end result one bit at a time, little like an old series of animation cells.

Oh, and personally, I think Brian's wrong about it being easier with keyframes in PSP :) He forgets the effort it took to learn keyframes. I have PSG, too, but I've played with PSP and I see it as different not better or simpler to do it all on one slide versus several. Also, I find that being able to see the series of slides on the timeline helpful, I know what each is doing more clearly.

Anyway, hope that's clear and if not, just keep asking questions!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:14 am

DickK wrote:Oh, and personally, I think Brian's wrong about it being easier with keyframes in PSP He forgets the effort it took to learn keyframes.

There are many times Dick when you are 'Oh so right'. :lol: :lol:
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

cassiestark

Postby cassiestark » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:58 pm

thanks that was so much help but there is one thing that is bothering me. the first word on every slide kind of streches and i don't have that as a effect. it does this at every slide before the added word appears. any suggestions?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 am

Sounds suspiciously like there's a text effect set in the 'normal' position in the Captions dialog. If that's not it, could you "share" the show via PhotoDex and so can see what you're seeing? Maybe we can figure it out then.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Nelson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:53 am

Great information here guys. Thanks very much. I also saw Gavin's tutorial on this subject, which is also great.

This is working fine, but now I'm now trying to do something slightly different. I have a two-line caption. The first line fades right, then I want the second line to fade right, while the first line stays put. That is, the second line fades in under the static first line. I've tried adding layers but captions don't seem to be separate on layers.

Can this be done in PSG? I can upload the 30 seconds of what I already have if that will explain things better.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:12 pm

I think you need to copy and paste the first slide with the first line of text. Then in the new slide, add your next line of caption with the effect, but click on old caption and change effect to none. That should do it.
TinaJ
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

Postby Nelson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks TinaJ. That was easy, ... and obvious! :oops:
Works great. On with the show!

Postby luvtknpics » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:50 am

I have tried following the directions and still cannot get it to work. These are my questions:
How do you copy and paste a slide? do you need to make a blank slide the paste into it the caption?
or when the instructions says to copy slide 3 times, how do you do that?
If I wanted the top line to stay while the second comes in and ditto for the third would it have to be done in layers?
Not quiet sure about layers yet, still reading.
I have PS Gold, PSE 6, PSP X2

Thank you for any advice given!!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:26 pm

Right click on the slide and choose the copy option. Then in the next space, left click and choose paste. You don't need to make a blank (black) slide. When you copy and paste it takes all the effects you have in the first slide and puts them into the next slide, captions with their fly-ins and outs, motion effects of pictures, etc.
If it says copy 3 times, I'm assuming you are doing something similar to keyframes in Producer, I do this all the time, then you only copy once, but paste 3 times, one after the other.
If I'm understanding what you want to do with your captions, this is how I would do it.
1. create a slide with first line of text, set my fly-in to (for example) Fade in, Normal and Fly OUt both say none. Copy and paste this slide to the next space. Transition should be Cut with time of zero.
2. Double click the new slide, go to captions, change the fly in for the first line to none. Click the plus button to add the second line of text, select the fly in, have Normal and Fly out be none. Copy and paste this slide, transition should be cut with time of zero.
3. This time, go in and make sure you have the second line of text highlighted, fly in should be changed to none, but make your fly out say fade out. Do this for both lines of text.
That should do it. Don't be afraid to experiment with timings, effects, etc. You don't have to save them, just start over!!
TinaJ
Grade 2/3 teacher

Postby luvtknpics » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks Tina,
How do you choose the lines, I think that is where I'm runing into problems. When I click on the slide
the lines are all together in a box not separated! I hope this is making sense!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Sent you an email.
TinaJ
Grade 2/3 teacher

Postby luvtknpics » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Sorry took so long, thank you that worked!

hulk24

Postby hulk24 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:48 am

Hi Tina,
Thanks for explaining it so well !!! I was trying to do same thing what Luvtknpics was trying to do. After reading your reply, I was able to do it. I read the replies from the others in this post, but didnt get me no where.
Thanks,
Hulk24

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks