Cartoon Dialogue

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
GMYaryan

Cartoon Dialogue

Postby GMYaryan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

I recently switched from photoshop elements 6 slide show to ProShow Gold after having numerious problems with the photoshop program. I an now constructing the same slide show in ProShow that I attempted in photopshop. My problem is there was a very simple method of using cartoon dialogue bubbles in photoshop to allow people to speak within a slide like in a cartoon. I have not been able to discover whether there is a way this can be done in ProShow. Would appreciate any help

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Cartoon Dialogue

Postby pilotdan63 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:39 pm

There is a very easy method for incorporating cartoon "talk" or "thought" bubbles into your ProShow project.

First you must create your talk or thought bubbles.

You can draw your own bubbles using PhotoShop, Paint or any other program that you may have (I use Paint.Net). Just draw a couple of cartoon circles with a left and right facing handle for your talk bubble and do the same with a cloud-like circle with little left and right ascending-size thought bubble arms.

Next you need to erase all the background from around your bubbles and save them as PNG files, naming each (i.e. left-facing talk bubble, right-facing talk bubble, left-facing thought bubble, right-facing thought bubble).

Next save your talk and thought bubbles to a file on your computer where you can access them from your ProShow program.

Now simply open a new layer in your ProShow program in the slide you want your talk or thought bubble to be in and use your motion feature to place it in the correct location and proper orientation to make it appear as if the person is talking or thinking.

Finally use the caption feature and type in the words you want to appear in your bubble and move these words into the correct location inside your bubble, sizing the words to fit.

I use a simple A/B fade transition with the original slide first, then the same slide with the talk or thought bubble and then another original slide without the talk or thought bubble. The A/B transition times between each slide can then be adjusted so the bubble will fade in and fade out as fast or as slow as you want.

Note: once you have created your talk and thought bubbles you can use them over and over again in different sizes, locations and orientations within your ProShow slides :wink:

I hope my explanation is clear enough for you to understand the process, good luck.

Dan
Last edited by pilotdan63 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:34 am

Hi GMYaryan,
In addition to Dan's great suggestion, you might check out this thread on talk bubbles-

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6287&p=47286&hilit=talk+bubble#p47286

Hugs,
Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby kabeeo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:38 am

I just switched to ProShow from Premiere also but I still use Photoshop Elements to edit the pics and insert my talk bubbles.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks