PSG - How do you slow down a text effect

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
unpuertomex

PSG - How do you slow down a text effect

Postby unpuertomex » Tue May 27, 2008 4:41 pm

This may not be the proper forum so I'll apologize up front.
What I'm trying to find out is how do you slow down a text effect like Zoom in Center or any of the text effect used on Proshow Gold version 3.
Sorry if this question seems obvious to most but for the life of me I can’t seem to find the right place.
:(

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: PSG - How do you slow down a text effect

Postby DickK » Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 pm

First welcome aboard and pretty much anywhere in the PSG section if fine -- if in doubt, just use the General Discussion area.

What I think you're asking is whether you can control the speed of a "fly in" or "fly out" effect on a caption. The short version is that you can't control that time, it's built in and not where you can get to it. Not in PSG anyway, probably something that can be done with PSP but that's not helpful to you (or me).

So, all is lost? Probably not! It then depends on exactly what you want for the effect and your description makes me think you can get what you want if you're willing to do just a little extra work to get it. I've done this in a show and here's what I did. Basic "trick" (see it was the right forum section all along) is to make the text an image in any editor--the image you create is just the text you want with a transparent background if you want it to look like a PSG caption (or you can color the text background if you want). Once you've got the caption as an image, handle it like any other image and you've got all the transitions and motion (rotation and zooms) available. Specifically: start with a your base image slide with no text--call that #1. Copy that and just drop the text on it as another layer, that's slide #2. Make a copy of #2 to get slide #3. Set the transitions between 1-2 and 2-3 to Cut, 0 second duration. In #2, the caption image layer starting position has zoom = 0% and ending position of 100% zoom. Control how fast the zoom takes place by setting the time for slide #2. And that's it.

From there you can, if you wish, embellish things with a bunch of cool stuff. As an alternate to the simple zoom-in effect, you can change the cut/0 transition between 1 & 2 to one of the other PSG transitions and use a time of a second or two. With or without the zoom it will work--the transition appears to only affect the top pseudo-caption layer because the lower layer is the same in both slides. So, now the text can dissolve in or wipe or whatever. Okay, now go back and add a 180 degree or 360 rotation to the text image along with the zoom--now it spins as it zooms in. And then you could... well, ya get the idea! Oh, by the way, you can use the same technique to take the caption back off if you wanted.

So, nope you can't control how the caption behaves--but just turn it into an image and off you go, limited only by the creativity and imagination.

You might find this useful as well: there's a sample show in the link that won't, at first, look like it's doing what you want, but it is, just "see" the second image as your text.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3798

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

unpuertomex

Postby unpuertomex » Tue May 27, 2008 6:06 pm

Thank you! I'm going to give this a try and post back my results.
By the way I’ll respond back to your other post just so that it doesn’t go in vain. Good to know that this forum is very. :D

unpuertomex

Postby unpuertomex » Wed May 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Sweet, this worked as you explained, certainly did give me several more ideas. Thanks for the tip.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm

And the really nice thing that once you've seen this you realize how easy it really is and how many things it can let you do that PSG "can't do" !

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks