merging 2 sounds

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
SSteve

merging 2 sounds

Postby SSteve » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:28 am

I have a sound of rain and another of thunder and lightening.I want to have about 4 seconds into the rain the thunder come in when that is finished have about 4 seconds more of rain.My rain is 16 seconds long so what I need to do is at the 4 send mark add my thunder then let my rain go another 4 seconds then I can cut off the rest of the rain I can do the cutting.How do I insert the thunder using audacity.
Thanks for any help I may get
Steve

Postby trulytango » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:23 am

Hello Steve

Is this all to take place in one slide? Or over a series of slides?

Just asking as I have easily and successfully used 2 sounds over several slides by having the 1st sound attached to say, slide 1, and set to 'continue playback of sound after slide ends'... and then attaching the 2nd sound to slide 2 - but offsetting it with a minus figure, so it does in fact start during slide 1. In your case, you'd start your thunder off in slide 1, add the lightening in slide 2 but offset the start by minus however many seconds required to actually have it start during slide 1. Easy and effective.

Slide 2 could be the same image as slide 1 if necessary, with a seamless cut to give the impression that it is in fact all one slide. Get the strart times right and then simply edit the individual sound length and fades to suit your needs.

Regards
Iris

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:29 am

Steve

Drag your 'rain' file into Audacity, then drag your 'thunder' file into Audacity. You should now have two waveforms in the window. Cut and move the waveforms as required and then output.

Is this enough explaination?

Brian

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:14 am

Brian, is Audacity capable of multiple tracks? If so, the thunder need not cut into the sound of the rain. Track one can be the rain, track two can contain the thunder placed at some specified moment, and then the two tracks can be merged into a single sound file. Anyway, that's how I'd do it in Cool Edit.

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:43 am

That's it Barbara. Audacity is capable of multi track.

I don't know what the limit is but I just dragged 10 different tracks on to try and find out, and it plays. Sounded awful though :lol:

Brian

Iris has the right idea

Postby debngar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 am

If you want to do this all in Producer, add your 2nd sound to the previous slide offsetting it with a positive number as many seconds you need and they will play over each other.

If you add the 2nd sound to the next slide, off set it by a negative number.

Numbers can be set in decimals as to get it just right.

Utilize the fade in and fade out if you need to in order to make it sound better and not abrupt at the start and finish.

No other sound editor is necessary.

Debbie

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 pm

I just dragged 10 different tracks on to try and find out, and it plays. Sounded awful though

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby trulytango » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi Guys

The effect that Steve described was doable in ProShow without involving a 3rd party prog... sometimes, when reading a post, my fingers (just like many othere's) kick into the keyboard before the brain has time to process the actual request/post :lol:

Always good to know there are several ways in which to do things - that's what makes this Forum so darn good!

TTFN
Iris

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:02 pm

trulytango wrote:Always good to know there are several ways in which to do things

You're right, Iris. And the thing is that we each have our favorite ways of accomplishing things, but just because it's a favorite doesn't make it the best way and it certainly doesn't make it the only way. I'm a sound-editor kind of person, and that's probably because I'm more familiar with the controls there than I am with the controls in Producer. One of these days, I'm going to take the time to figure out things in Producer...maybe. I really like my Cool Edit program. :D

Barbara

SSteve

audacity

Postby SSteve » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks to ever one got so much help not sure where to start.
TruelyTango that would work except I am doing this with background image and a gif animated file of 12 frames so will be spread over say 48 slides..12 or so seconds each.

Brian I dragged and dropped my thunder and lightening into my rain no problem.I think where I am having trouble is in the knowledge department.When I drop it in it becomes the beginning.What I am trying to achieve is maybe 4 seconds of the heavy rain then 4 seconds of the thunder plus then back to the 4 seconds of rain.Having a total of about 12 seconds.Ding a show on my grand father who lived to be 96.drink a fifth of whiskey ever day smoked 3 cigars a day,chewed tobacco,had more fun than any 20 people I have ever known.I growing up he did ever thing from moonshine to counter fieting money.So the start of the show will be a stormy image I have with his picture floating thru the storm with the back ground noise I am trying to come up with.He was a bolt of lightening,thunder and very stormy person ( I might add he all ways said out of 64 grand kids I was a favorite of his my mom said it was because he seen him self in you when he was young)
So now you can all see what I am doing.
Steve

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Steve

With your 'thunder' file, at the top left of Audacity are 6 icons, select the 'double headed arrow' (Its called the 'time shift' tool) this will enable you to grab the sound wave and move it sideways.

Brian

Postby trulytango » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:38 am

Hi Steve

Looking forward to seeing the show about your grandfather... sounds like he was quite a character!

You might find Truelight's " Moonshine & Gambling" show interesting.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... &alb=76679

TTFN
Iris

SSteve

merging 2 sounds

Postby SSteve » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:38 am

Hi ever one
Brian when you know what buttons to push makes life easier thanks works like a charm.
Trulytango I would love to see the show but have never been able to watch any thing more than 2 or 3 mb.never been able to figure why?on my computer I have 250 GB and about 214 free space 1 gig of mem ram and I am on satellite.
Steve

Postby trulytango » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:25 am

Steve?

Do you mean you're unable to view any of the shows uploaded to Photodex that are over 2-3MB in size. That is very odd - maybe someone here can help? :?

Anybody?

SSteve

Postby SSteve » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:11 pm

trulytango wrote:Steve?

Do you mean you're unable to view any of the shows uploaded to Photodex that are over 2-3MB in size. That is very odd - maybe someone here can help? :?

Anybody?

Sorry did not get back to you have had a house full for some time now..No I can't open hardly any of them.some that are like 2 to 4 MB maybe.I have had one or two in the 8 MB size I just open start them off and leave them working in my taskbar.once in a while I will get one that way.I have tried a couple or so of the bigger tuts 24 or so MB 2 hours later nothing just sits there in the window and work.
Should I make a new post of this ??
Steve PS I will be gone for a while I will come back in on my return

Next

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks