What if you have duplicate photo titles when archiving shows

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

What if you have duplicate photo titles when archiving shows

Postby 95delta98 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:24 am

I'm working on a show right now that consolidates photos from more than a dozen different people and their cameras.

To organize the show, I have every photographer's originals in separate folders, and I pick the best of those shots and crop and rename and save them, still within a folder for the original photographer. Then I drag the shots from each separate folder into PSG.

My concern is that, once I'm going on a show, I use the feature (the specific name of which now escapes me) to save all the show data (the photos, the audio, etc.). If I recall, the images are then all archived to one directory. So what happens if for example two separate images, taken by two separate fathers, are both named 100_1047?

I've mostly avoided this issue in my renames of pictures I'll be using - 100_1047.jpg might become smith100_1047.jpg or jones_100_1047.jpg depending who took it. But I've not done that 100% of the time and I don't want to have issues if there are duplicate file names coming from separate folders being consolidated into one during archiving.

Postby trulytango » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:09 am

Hello 95delta98

In Producer, the feature you describe is the collect show files you access off the main File menu. Not sure if Gold has this same facility?

When you collect show files (sourced from different folders, drives etc) using Producer, the identically named files are simply given an additional suffix e.g. if you have three files named IMG_4328, then Producer simply renames two of them i.e IMG_4328_000 and IMG_4328_001.

Hope that helps

Iris

Postby 95delta98 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:12 am

trulytango wrote:Hello 95delta98

In Producer, the feature you describe is the collect show files you access off the main File menu. Not sure if Gold has this same facility?

When you collect show files (sourced from different folders, drives etc) using Producer, the identically named files are simply given an additional suffix e.g. if you have three files named IMG_4328, then Producer simply renames two of them i.e IMG_4328_000 and IMG_4328_001.

Hope that helps

Iris

Yeah, collect show files is the name of the feature, sorry I'd had it escape me.

Thanks for the clarification; I am sure, both being photodex products, that it would work the same way.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Yep, exactly right. And in the show itself you won't get a conflict because it uses a full, relative path name. However when I have this situation I'll batch rename the files with the photographer name included, my personal "system" is:

Year Month <event> <photographer> camera-file-name
E.G., 2008 03 Easter Dick DSCF01022.jpg

bracket items are optional but normal for me.

Keeps me from having trouble down the road if I consolidate folders and matches my filing system.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks