Making captions stay for the whole slide duration?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Making captions stay for the whole slide duration?

Postby 95delta98 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:25 pm

This is an elementary question, but I can't find it while searching, so I would appreciate an answer delivered with patience.

If I put a caption on a slide, no matter what I do with the settings for the caption, it "appears" a moment after the slide appears, and it vanishes a moment before the slide fades.

Now this can be a cool effect and I use such effects pretty often.

But sometimes, I just want text wedded to a slide with no trickery, and in such cases, the caption showing up after the slide, and leaving before the transition, isn't what I'm after.

I know that I could use a photo editor to put the text on the slide where I want it. But that's extra steps and extra time. Surely there must be a way to create a caption that is just fixed to the slide, displaying for the slide's full duration. Right? And how would I do this?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Not completely sure this will do what you want but it's something you need to look at anyway. On the captions dialog/tab for the slide there should be a list of the captions for that slide. Make sure all of them are set to be "above" the transitions -- beside the list of the words are three icons for each line, the T check box controls whether the caption appears on top of the transition or below it. You need it to be above which makes the T only have the top part of it. And you need to be sure there are no Text Effects for these lines. With the captions set that way they should just become a static part of the slide--works for me anyway--and I think that's what you want.

Hope that will help!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Barbara_K » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:50 pm

This thread may help explain what Dick said.
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewt ... highlight=

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:38 am

I just revisited this issue because I'd forgotten about it and am currently arguing with a few captions. Now I remember why it never stuck in my head. This statement describes the unstickability:
If 'Above slide transitions' is checked the caption will not appear until the transition finishes. If it is not checked the caption will appear during the transition.

The logic of how it works seems inverted. If the caption is "above" the transition, the brain says, "Okay, that means the transition is happening to everything below the caption, and so the caption is left untouched." So my head says it'll pop into view in all its glory before, not after, everything is still going through a transition.

I sure wish Photodex had worded it all differently. :(

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:46 am

I'm on that one with you Barbara.

The logic always seems to be wrong to me as well. It is another of these if it doesn't work as expected, try it the other way. Just like inverting masks :lol:
Opppps, shouldn't have mentioned masks (alpha, greyscale, there I go swearing again).

Brian

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:12 am

Brian, I occasionally ponder the possibility that I, myself, am inverted.

Barbara

Postby Barbara_K » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:05 am

BarbaraC wrote:The logic of how it works seems inverted. If the caption is "above" the transition, the brain says, "Okay, that means the transition is happening to everything below the caption, and so the caption is left untouched." So my head says it'll pop into view in all its glory before, not after, everything is still going through a transition.

I sure wish Photodex had worded it all differently. :(

Barbara

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks like this. It never made sense to me either. But I thought maybe it was just me who wasn't getting it!

Barbara K

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:35 am

Barbara, this is good. Now there's a trio of us admitting to mental inversion. Get a few more like us and we'll be the norm.

Barbara

Postby 95delta98 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:23 pm

DickK wrote:Not completely sure this will do what you want but it's something you need to look at anyway. On the captions dialog/tab for the slide there should be a list of the captions for that slide. Make sure all of them are set to be "above" the transitions -- beside the list of the words are three icons for each line, the T check box controls whether the caption appears on top of the transition or below it. You need it to be above which makes the T only have the top part of it. And you need to be sure there are no Text Effects for these lines. With the captions set that way they should just become a static part of the slide--works for me anyway--and I think that's what you want.

Hope that will help!
Dick

Yup, that did it. Thanks a ton, and wish I'd known this sooner!

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks