Puzzle Piece Technique in Gold

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
mspetter

Puzzle Piece Technique in Gold

Postby mspetter » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Hey - Does anyone know how to break a photo into puzzle pieces? I was at a party last night and saw puzzle layer upon puzzle layer, with finished photos between each layer. Is this kind of clear? Thanks.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:27 pm

Here are directions and the Photoshop Action to create a 20 piece sliding puzzle. Note that it is a regular show, so it should work with Gold without a problem.

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=862

-Vernon

mspetter

Postby mspetter » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:08 am

Thanks so much - I'll try it this week! I think I need to sit and process everything first! - v.

Postby duglas50 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:06 am

Vernon,
I'm new to Photoshop and I'm using Photoshop Elements 6 which doesn't support actions. Is there a way to do this in Elements?

Doug

Valued Member

Postby Hemo2 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:59 am

I also don't have Photoshop and instead use Paint Shop Pro for my image editing. This didn't stop me though from making a puzzle show that I thought turned out pretty good.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7114&alb=0

After searching for a solution to make puzzle pieces out of an image, I ended up purchasing the AV Bros. Puzzle Pro plugin (http://www.avbros.com/english/puzzlepro/index.html) and used it to make all the pieces. It took a bit of time making all the individual pieces, etc. but it ended up being more tedious than difficult.

Keith

Postby Barbara_K » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:04 am

Doug,

There's a free action that works with Photoshop Elements on the PanosFX web site. You can build puzzles from 4 to 100 pieces.

http://www.panosfx.com/index.php?option ... iew&id=147

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:52 pm

duglas50 wrote:...I'm new to Photoshop and I'm using Photoshop Elements 6 which doesn't support actions. Is there a way to do this in Elements?

Actually PSE does support actions--using them anyway. Basically, you can't make one but you can use one that's been created by someone with PhotoShop and if the action they made is compatible with PSE. If you search for them, you'll find that there are quite a few out there. I would expect, but don't know for sure that if the action worked with PSE 5, it would work with 6.

In addition to PanosFx, here's one site that you might want to check out, if you haven't already:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselem ... ources.htm

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby duglas50 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Keith, Barbara, and Dick
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I checked out each of those web sites and they are all excellent sites. I can't wait to try some of the effects they offer. Especially the puzzle effect.

Doug

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Take it easy with the puzzle - take your time and read through all the information
on it. Quite a few people have been very frustrated with the puzzle game when they
didn't understand one step or another. It is quite easy once you get the parts, but
it does take time and care or things don't work as expected (been there, done that !)
I have no idea how anyone would have the patience to do a 100 piece puzzle (or
watch it for that matter !! )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby duglas50 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks Mikey, I'll take your advise. I'll try just a few puzzle pieces first.

Doug

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:08 pm

Doug,
I see that you got your answer. Mikey is right about trying a smaller puzzle first. It helps to start at the end and work back to the beginning like the tutorial says.

Regards,
-Vernon

mspetter

Puzzle Show - First Time Up to Share!

Postby mspetter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:38 am

OK - I think that I got the hang of it. Below is listed a link that contains a photo I took recently in the Dominican Republic, broken into pieces. No sound added - I wanted to stick to basics. - Viri

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2954398&alb=0

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Puzzle Show - First Time Up to Share!

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:38 am

mspetter wrote:OK - I think that I got the hang of it. Below is listed a link that contains a photo I took recently in the Dominican Republic, broken into pieces. No sound added - I wanted to stick to basics. - Viri

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2954398&alb=0

Nice spin on the effect. I must admit that I had a little bit of problem due to the synchronization of the moving puzzle piece with the stationary piece. It is my opinion that these two must be coordinated better. Actually, I am not sure why you need the stationary piece. Once the moving piece is in place, move on to the next piece.

Finally, the large piece that gets scaled into position would be fine as an ending, but you moved another piece after that, so what I thought was the end was not the end. I hope that makes sense.

When I did the puzzle exercise, what it did was help firm up keyframing inside of ProShow. Based upon what you have done it seems that you have learned this and are well position to keep expanding your skills.

Regards,
-Vernon

mspetter

Postby mspetter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks Vernon -
Your input is most welcome! I'm still playing with it, but can tell you that I learned a lot going through this exercise. Have a super day! - Viri

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:26 pm

I think the transition between the slides should be a 'cut', then the piece completes the move rather than fading just before it gets in position.

Brian

Next

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks