Music with no vocal

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
SSteve

Music with no vocal

Postby SSteve » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:04 am

I know ever one but me knows this.But just maybe some may not.I only make shows for family any gathering we have everyone brings me their photos they took.And I then make a show of them and give ever one their a copy.Now that said they are all 99 % country music.I have all ways used the music and it has vocal and I wanted to use just music but never had enough .So What I found is using Audacity and setting my speakers and my desktop mike up then recording a midi file,I even record with my voice name of tune.Then when it is recorded I cut out the blank space between my voice and the tune starting.After that I hit file and export as a wav file.Now that is a huge file so I use the recorder that come with your pc and open it and cl file open then find the tune you just exported/now scroll down to properties/cl on convert/set for 8.000KHZ,8 Bit.Mono then cl Ok and Ok again.Now save as and place it where ever you want.A short son like Galaway Bay when exports as a wave was 7.91 MB after running in thru the recorder it was 736 KB.My ears can not tell any difference in the quality there maybe for a expert but I do not have any of them in my family.
Now If any one has a better method I would appreciate it.I did look for a free program to convert midi files and did not find any.So if you know of one please let me know.
Thank you
Steve

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:27 pm

You sort of sneak up on it -- there are a number of utilities out there (I have Total Recorder although
it costs a few dollars) that allow you to capture the output from your soundcard directly to a file
without the speaker/microphone trick. You can then convert that in your audio editor to MP3 or
whatever format you want. Total Recorder is the one I am familiar with, but there are others also.

Here are a couple other links to check out (I have no experience with them though)
http://timidity.sourceforge.net/
http://software.techrepublic.com.com/do ... cid=274539
http://www.highcriteria.com/ <- I do have this one

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

SSteve

Music with no vocal

Postby SSteve » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks Mikey
Will check them out looks like you pay for them I have destroyed the buget for awhile.So will keep looking for a free one or keep doing it as I am now.but it is time consuming.
Steve

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:05 pm

The first one listed there is free. Have not used it, but it is free.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

SSteve

Re: Music with no vocal

Postby SSteve » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:39 pm

SSteve wrote:Thanks Mikey
Will check them out looks like you pay for them I have destroyed the buget for awhile.So will keep looking for a free one or keep doing it as I am now.but it is time consuming.
Steve

Mikey
Thanks I hate to be such a pest but I have downloaded this program 2 times.Unzipped it and went thru ever file I can see and find no place to setup.I saved it to a download folder under it's name..
Steve

SSteve

No Vocal

Postby SSteve » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:43 pm

I found it Mikey it was buried but here is the jist of it I think? see below the way I see this is I need to go and find some patchs.I may try this later
Steve

TiMidity doesn't work itself. TiMidity needs GUS/patch set which is
set of sound patch. There are no WAVE information in *.mid file, so
TiMidity use GUS/patch to convert MIDI to WAVE file. Note that this
`patch' means one of the wave sound file in MIDI technical term.

Many GUS/patches are available from the internet. Some people collect
these patches and make a set of the patch for TiMidity. I recommend
the patch of Eric A. Welsh <ewelsh@gpc.ibc.wustl.edu>.

Follows are installation steps to use eawpat for TiMidity++.

1. Visit http://www.stardate.bc.ca/eawpatches/html/default.htm
2. Click "Getting Eawpatches"
3. If you don't have UNRAR, Please install it.
4. Download Eawpats RAR files.
5. Make a new folder `c:\timidity' to install Eric patch set.
6. Extract RAR files to `c:\timidity'
7. Move all files in this directory to `c:\timidity'

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:46 pm

Hmmm - you appear correct - while they mention Windows ports, none of them
seem to be valid links. All the other "midi converter" seach results seem to be
payware (although they do have a trial version). Most seem to be in the $20-30
range. Sorry I didn't find the free one -- the link looked good, they just don't
seem to be maintaining it. You might want to try one or two of the "trial"
versions - you might find one that does enough other things to be worth the
cost for you.

mikey

SSteve

Vocal

Postby SSteve » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:05 am

Thanks for all your efforts mikey.Got to make the dreaded trip in to Vegas today.So want be on the pc today.I am doing pretty well with my method I have about a hundred tunes
up to now so I may just stick with that.I have enough now for awhile and if I find I need a special one can all ways go in and make it.I made a show using just the tunes no vocals and showed it to wife,a daughter and a grand son and they all said they thought it much better with just the music.
So if any one else needs more infromation on this just let me know I am not sure I explained it really clear in my first post above.
Steve

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks