Can you add/burn subsequent shows to a dvd?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
JohnForrester

Can you add/burn subsequent shows to a dvd?

Postby JohnForrester » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:14 pm

It seems you cannot use a dvd-RW to keep adding subsequent shows without erasing the whole dvd and burning the multiple shows back in. This seems a major drawback, compared to Nero ext. Am I mistaken?
JohnF

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:10 pm

John

If you were able to add shows seperately to a DVD, how would you select which show to see on your DVD player? There would be no menu also the DVD file structure does not allow this.

What you can do is burn several PSG(P) shows to a DVD at the same time and produce a menu to select which show to view.

With blank DVD's at less than 20p ($0.40) each they are a very cheap part of running a computer system.

Brian

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Brian is correct - it is a limitation of the DVD file structure, not a Proshow
issue (there is even an expected order of the files on the DVD although
most players seem to ignore that and simply look for the expected
file names).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

JohnForrester

Postby JohnForrester » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:16 am

Thanks for your prompt advice. I'm just disappointed that I cannot do with PSG what I could do before with Nero! (so a black mark to PSG?)

"If you were able to add shows seperately to a DVD, how would you select which show to see on your DVD player? There would be no menu also the DVD file structure does not allow this." I don't understand you here Brian.

If I wanted to burn say 12 shows which would fill the dvd, it would take forever, to erase and reburn every time you wanted to add a single show to your previous efforts! It seems to me that the programmers have failed to consider the use of RW discs. I don't want to just use a single disc every time. Great programme otherwise though

John F

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:47 am

John

Sorry, earlier I did not say 'Welcome to the forum'. It is always good to see another new member post.

A DVD to play on a DVD player has to have files in a certain structure. Top level directories of 'AUDIO_TS' and 'VIDEO_TS', although in most cases the 'AUDIO_TS' holds nothing.

The 'VIDEO_TS' holds 'VIDEO_TS.IFO' and its backup 'VIDEO_TS.BUP' also 'VTS_01_0.IFO' and its backup 'VTS_01_0.BUP' and then the associated video files VTS_01_X.VOB. These files generally have to be in a given order to be read by a DVD player, this is why when burning Nero reports that it is sorting the file order. Adding another show later does not allow you to change the .IFO files and therefore the menu and DVD data.

If Nero is capable of this I have not found it, and would be pleased to know how it changes these files. Which of the many methods of burning a DVD are you using in Nero to achieve this?

Brian

Esteemed Member

Postby LEE7 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:34 am

Hi
Ulead Movie factory 5 allows You to import mpeg image files from Your hard drive & combine them into A DVD with as many as the disc will hold, then make a menu for the title.

3 only on the first page then arrow to the second page etc.

I use it to combine the entries for Our camcorder Club Annual competition to 1 showreel DVD

Regards.

Peter

JohnForrester

Postby JohnForrester » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:17 am

Thanks everyone.

To answer Brian's question re Nero. You could certainly add additional files to ones already burnt without erasing the original files. It was called creating an ' editable dvd'. However I think I had to buy a plug in to do this, and now I've lost function this due to a pc rebuild, I seem to have lost this option. I used to do this for Photo Storey 3 shows with no problems. To not be able to do this in PSG is annoying to say the least. especially for $70!

Another question.
How do you set up a dvd burn to [u]completely fill the screen[/u] on a 16:9 widescreen tv? I have cropped some images to fit the resolution of my lcd tv (1366 x 768) but am struggling with the 'safe tv zone' and 'scale slide image' options (of which there are 5 - what do they all do??!!) Am I missing something?

Any ideas anyone?

John F

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:50 am

John

I use Producer, but I think it is the same for Gold.

To set 16:9 aspect ratio go to 'Show>General Show Options>Show Options tab' and set the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9.

Remember now that your photos will have to be 16:9 aspect ratio. However this ratio is also useful for showing two 4:3 portrait images side by side.

No other cahnges are needed to make a 16:9 show.

Brian

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks