mpg video

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Tekay

mpg video

Postby Tekay » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi,
I have been using PSG for quite some time now and enjoy its incredible power and ease of use. The early versions allowed me to import or use AVI files, then the updates for some reason didn't allow me to. Then newer versions it seems allowed me to use MPG files. Now I am up to Ver 3.2 and using Vista, and again I am having problems using MPG file clips. The error that I get is "One or more selected file is not a valid audio or visual file."

I had this problem with XP a little while back and am not sure what I did to get it working, maybe had to download updates for Windows? now my new computer has Vista and I am back at square one. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks and great job on this site.

p.s I apologize if this question has been asked before, I did a search but was unable to find the exact question.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:07 pm

Does the video file in question play okay outside of PSG?

The most common issues I've seen about video seem to either be a file that is corrupt (or PSG believes is corrupt) or a needed CODEC is missing. If the file plays in another application then the file is okay but PSG has shown an occasional issue with a specific file that it thinks is bad despite the fact that it otherwise plays. The fix I've seen reported for that involved using an editor to either convert the file to another format or to do a meaningless edit and rewrite the file.

If there's a CODEC issue, that's something different tho' there are quite a few threads dealing with bad codecs, just search for that word and see if it helps. If not, post a followup and we'll see what we can do.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:16 am

Hi TeKay, welcome to the forum.

This is something else that cures a multitude of different problems. It may work with this one.

Close PSG and navigate to where it is installed. Something like C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProshowGold. When you are here delete these two files 'cpic.opt' and 'def.phd'. These files sometimes get corrupt and cause many different types of error. They will be recreated when Gold is re-run.

However the above by Dick may also be the problem. On occasions Photodex have recommended the installation of a 'codec pack'. A search of this forum on 'codec' may find a thread.

Brian

Tekay

Postby Tekay » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:36 am

THANKS!, it was a Codec issue. I installed the mega pack from Ace and I can now use MPG and AVI files. I am not sure which codec was missing, but I installed the full codec package except Microsoft's and it now works.

Thanks again and happy Holidays!.

Tekay.

p.s. I tried deleted the 2 files as suggested by Brian, but that didn't help. :lol:

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks