Video w/audio

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Captcurt

Video w/audio

Postby Captcurt » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:16 am

New User question:

Is there a way to take say a 2 minute video clip with audio, insert it as a clip as usual, then trim just the video part to say 30 seconds and transition to other slides but let the rest of the audio from the clip play under the subsequent slides??

Thanks

Curt

Video clip

Postby Jerry Cole » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:11 pm

Welcome Curt,
I am not an expert at this, but I think you may need a 3rd party software to accomplish this. I have not seen a vehicle for this in Gold ... and never heard it mentioned in the Pro threads. If Mikey wakes up, I'm sure he will know the answer. Fear not, before long someone will heed the call!
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:47 pm

I agree.

What you're trying to do is edit the video file which isn't something the PSG does. You'll need to pull the video and audio apart, clip the video to what you want and then put the two files into the show independently. Like Jerry, I've no real experience tho' I've played around with the video editor in the Roxio suite enough to make me think it can be done.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Jerry Cole » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:51 pm

Dick,
You beat Mikey ...he must be asleep!
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Captcurt

Postby Captcurt » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks Gentlemen:

I haven't seen a way to un-link the audio from the video either.

We can do it the hard way in Premier but were trying to save some time.

Curt

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:29 pm

I do this quite a bit but not so much with Producer, mostly with Video editors. If there is audio I need from a video track and I want it to continue beyond the edited video into the next slide or video, I usually have to use an audio editor (Audacity) to record the audio track from the video to make it its own file. Then I edit the video to the length I need and then insert the copied audio into the timeline in the video editor. I might add that you must know your computers audio input selections so that you can choose the correct one to use to record audio while playing it at the same time. Confused yet? I am. :lol:
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:48 pm

Jerry Cole wrote:Dick,
You beat Mikey ...he must be asleep!
Jerry

Nah, I just wasn't sure how to do it ! :D

If you want the audio to continue, but the video to vanish
part way through, I think you could do it in producer by
having the next layer appear part way through the slide
(on a layer over the video), however, in gold, I'm not sure.
If you are going to be working with video at all, you might
consider one of the lower end NLE packages that allow you
to do all sorts of things with video such as Sony Vegas Movie Studio
or Premiere elements.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Barbara_K » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Curt,

You can separate the audio from the video very easily with VirtualDub which is a free utility. It will save the audio as a WAV file. You can also trim the video with this utility. You can do both these things without any other processing of the video (such as changing compression) and it is extremely fast.

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Barbara

Captcurt

Seperating Audio

Postby Captcurt » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:04 pm

Yes..separating it is the way we're going to do it..at least for now.

The only problem when that is done is re-lip syncing the AV to the talking head.

I'm going to also try just clipping the video to the right length and just begin a (separated audio from that point on. It gets to be a bit of a problem because PSG treats the video sound like a slide sound--so the music track fades out like it should when the video soundtrack is playing. Just cant get access to it as its own track.

When continuing the audio then after the video slide, we cant really blend the audio over top of the music track in a straightforward way since we want the voice (from the video clip) to run across multiple subsequent slides.

We could have done this pretty easily in Premier with its multiple track capability, but since the only video we're using is for transitions, the majority of the project is slides--we decided to try it in PSG.

I've done several 100 slide sows but this one is running at about 24 minutes with 350 slides. (150 of them are 3 and 4 up) Perhaps too ambitios a jump up in complexity but we're learning A LOT!

Curt

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks