Photo Storage While Traveling

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

Photo Storage While Traveling

Postby Barnum » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:24 am

My wife takes hundreds, not thousands, of photos when we go on vacation. She currently has a 4GB flash card, but wants to transfer photos to something and continue using the card. What would you folks recommend? She can obviously purchase more cards, but there must be a more economical and better way.

And, while I am asking "stupid" questions....when she tries to print her photos onto a CD at home, she receives the message that there are too many images for one CD. She then usually starts highlighting a few at a time, and downloads to the CD until it's full. Then she starts another.... Is there an easier way?

Thanks for all the great help on ths board,

Dick

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:06 am

If she is filling a 4gb stick there is no way to fit 4gb of photos or even 1gb of photos onto any CD as they only hold just over 700mb of data. You would need at least 6 CDs just to hold 4gb of photos without compression. You may want to try moving them to blank DVD. They hold 4gb, the same as your 4gb stick.

Others here may have better suggestions.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:28 am

For storage on the road, you could get something like the Epson P-3000
portable storage/viewer (newer version of what Scott Kelby likes).

While you can get larger cards, my preference is to stay with 1 or 2 gig
cards so that, as they say "all your eggs are not in one basket" -- cards
can and do either get corrupted or fail. If it is a short trip, I just take
enough cards so I have plenty of storage. For longer, I also take the
laptop and as I fill cards up, download them to the laptop AND burn
a CD/DVD which I keep somewhere else so it is harder for theft etc
to wipe out all my pictures. When I get home, all are transferred to
my main computer (and the photo directory is regularly backed up
elsewhere).

Do NOT only have your photo's in one place on one media. CD's go bad,
hard drives fail etc. Unlike our parents pictures where you go back and
rescan that drawer full of pictures, when you lose digital images (or
anything else), unless you have backups somewhere else, they are
gone - permanently :cry:

I would also avoid using (except for very temp storage) RW CD's in
the UDF mode (where you can drag and drop pix on the CD or remove
them). There have been quite a number of reports from people where
the CD has an error show up and everything on it is now very difficult
to recover. CD's (and DVD's) are cheap these days -- in fact, a good
quality DVD is fairly close to a good quality CD - and holds more than
6 times the data.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Photo Storage While Traveling

Postby DickK » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:24 am

Barnum wrote:My wife takes hundreds, not thousands, of photos when we go on vacation. She currently has a 4GB flash card, but wants to transfer photos to something and continue using the card. What would you folks recommend? She can obviously purchase more cards, but there must be a more economical and better way.

More economical ? Doubt it, Personally I can't think anything that's going beat more cards for the economy of it. The viewer/storage the guys mentioned is a neat gadget but you can buy a lot of cards for the $500 or $700 the two models cost respectively--7-10 of them as a matter of fact even at the 4GB size.

Better? Now that's a question of what you'd think was better. Personally, I want a laptop along on a trip with or without the camera so since I've got the laptop anyway I got a USB card reader and use it dump all the pictures to the laptop. That does not mean I avoid having a more cards tho' because as Mikey says, I don't like having the files in only one place so they stay on the card(s) and on the laptop, too. Personally, I would rather have several 1GB cards than one big one -- but that's mostly personal preference. But I always travel with more storage on cards than I think I will need and dump them off to a laptop as we go. Haven't lost a camera or card--yet. But I feel better avoiding "all the eggs in one basket."

Barnum wrote:And, while I am asking "stupid" questions....when she tries to print her photos onto a CD at home, she receives the message that there are too many images for one CD. She then usually starts highlighting a few at a time, and downloads to the CD until it's full. Then she starts another.... Is there an easier way?

Yep, as mentioned already, for that situation "we're gonna need a bigger boat", well DVDs in this case. But, no, if you stick with CD's the only thing you can do is several of them. Some software if you run the image-toCD as a backup vice just copying files will fill the CD and prompt you for another but, really, the anser is to use DVDs or an external harddrive.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:25 am

I recently backed up about 2 gb of photos on a DVD using Nero Back Up. I've never used Nero Back Up before this time. It seems awkward trying to read what is on this back up DVD, I guess I'm not used to Nero Back Up. Anyone have experience with this Nero utility?
Bill

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:26 am

I recently backed up about 2 gb of photos on a DVD using Nero Back Up. I've never used Nero Back Up before this time. It seems awkward trying to read what is on this back up DVD, I guess I'm not used to Nero Back Up. Anyone have experience with this Nero utility?
Bill

Postby bbdigital » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:49 am

I favour a portable hard drive for image storage while away from home and have used Aqua Pixman for some time. I have a user review below if you are interested.

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/aqua_pi ... pixman.htm

A cost benefit is worth doing as you can buy a lot of cards with what these cost. However, we have used three different versions and never dropped a frame and we shoot thousands of images too. What I like is that on returning home all the images are in folders and can be downloaded in one go via a USB cable.

I also used an old laptop for sometime, but have you tried carrying one of those through airports these days. At the very least you have to unpack the thing and on some occasions fire it up to prove it is a working computer. I found all that too tedious and switched to the Pixman.

If you want to see your images while away, use the leads provided and hook up to the hotel room TV. Most TV's have phono sockets on the front these days and you can sit back and review your images on TV.

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks