Photoscape

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Ann Coulter

Photoscape

Postby Ann Coulter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:39 pm

I recently found a new download on Cnet downloads for PhotoScape. It is a Free download. I do not have Photoshop, so it has been a God send for me. It has several frames and filters. I especially appreciate the filters for noise. Most of the pics I have are very old, and it works very well. Just thought I would share this. I am an amateur, so all you pros out there please forgive. Anyone know about tin types. I have a few old pics and don't know what to do with them?? Ann

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:15 pm

Hi Ann

I just came across your post and want to say thanks for sharing your info about PhotoScape. Free downloads are always worth a look! I use Photoshop but still think you've been kind to help others... Regarding tin types, I'm not sure what they are.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Photoscape

Postby DickK » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:44 pm

Ann Coulter wrote:... Anyone know about tin types. I have a few old pics and don't know what to do with them?? Ann

Ann --

What do you need or want to know? Lots information online about it -- Google "tin type photos" and see. Here's one of the links that will show up:

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_early/1_e ... intype.htm

Basically tin types are old pictures that were made with a metal plate vice a glass plate. They're not known for quality but during a period in the late 1800's and very early 1900's quite a few were made by itinerant photographers. I've got a couple family portraits from around 1900 myself.

Dick
Last edited by DickK on Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Ann Coulter

tin type pics

Postby Ann Coulter » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for the link Dick. I was trying to see if in today's world of modern technology, there was anything that could be done to restore any of the quality (very poor ) of these pics. Thanks for the link. Will investigate. Ann
P S Pauline, tin types are before my time, but if you've never heard of them, I must be older than I thought I was!! maybe it's a USA thing. Thanks for the reply. Ann

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:21 pm

Ann,

I've not done extensive research but, so far as I know, there's nothing you can do that will restore it -- repair it maybe if there's physical damage. Repair is something you should consult a restoration/conservation expert (one dealing specifically in old photographs) about if it's worth the trouble and probable expense. In any case, there are things you can do that will keep it from degrading further. Some of the online reading should tell you about that part.

But one thing I'd recommend you do is get a digital copy of it. Tin types are usually small so if it will fit on a scanner, then try that. If it won't fit for some reason and you have suitable equipment (good camera, tripod and lighting), then you can try making a photo of it. There are shops that will have a larger scanner if you need to go that route. In any case, with a digital copy there could be quite a bit that you can accomplish with a good editor to at least restore some of the contrast, clean it up and to an extent (mostly dependent on your patience!) fix flaws in the picture.

Good luck and have fun.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Valued Member

Postby burntb4 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:21 pm

I just downloaded Photoscape .When you create an animation and save it.how do you get the animation to work in PSG. I tried to copy-tried to drag etc. That action works but as a still shot?

Ann Coulter

Animation

Postby Ann Coulter » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:32 pm

I haven't gotten to the animation part yet, still playing with filters and frames. Wish I could help, but maybe someone else knows if it is possible in PSG. Good Luck, Ann

Burntb4

Postby nannybear » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:44 pm

Did it output as a gif animation? If so they are not supported. What you need to do is output it to a supported file and the easy way I believe is through Movie Maker. You can seperate the layers but I find that process tedious.....Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:21 pm

I have not had a chance to check it out, but I did read a note last
night in my photoshop book about "Imageready" being able to
handle animated gif's and there was a comment about being able
to output in mov. I just remember seeing it - have not had a chance
to check it out yet.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Regarding tin types, I'm not sure what they are.

Postby bob walden » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:03 am

It seems not a day goes by that something or someone makes me feel like an old person!! (which I am).

Bob W.

Ann Coulter

Bob the meaning of "old"

Postby Ann Coulter » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:02 pm

I searched the meaning of "old" in the Merriam- Webster online dictionary. Here is what I found.
: distinguished from an object of the same kind by being of an earlier date <many still used the old name>
often used in reference as " good old boy"

My personal interpretation. You are a very distinguished "good old boy" that stands out from others of your time.
Age is in the mind (and joints) of the beholder! Ann

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks