Power point masks

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
BethS

Power point masks

Postby BethS » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi all,

If this is the wrong place for this post please say so and I will delete it immediately!

I have not been around long but I have learned so much just by playing. I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but if so, sorry about the repetition. I have figured out how to make masks in Power point. If anyone is interested let me know. I have created a series of masks I call 4-square. They work for me so I am assuming they will just work in general. (sometimes something that works on my computer does not work on others). I would be happy to share them.

Beth

Honorary ProShow PHD

Power point masks

Postby DanDan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:01 am

Hi Beth,
Glad you are getting along so well! I don't use power point (other than viewing), but would to to see/use your masks. Send the file(s) to Mike in an e-mail, he can add them to the "Member Created Files" section at the bottom of the index page. You probably need to send in a zipped file.
Thanks for sharing your work! :)
_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Beth --

Can you describe in summary form what you did in PPT to create them?
Are the resulting files (the masks) saved as images or how did you end up with something PSG can use?

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

BethS

ppt mask

Postby BethS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:15 am

HI Dick,

Basically, I put together an image on ppt making sure to cover the intended transparant area with a solid color not already in the image I want to use using any shape I want. For example if I want the border of the frame to be black I make sure the center of the border is any color but black. (the actual color of the frame can be changed in PSG using the colorize button).
So far, I make a black rectangle and then a white heart. Now I select all components and group them as one unit. I right click the image and save picture as a whatever.png. I go back to my ppt slide and delete what I just made. Then I insert the newly saved whatever.png image. When that opens the picture toolbar opens. I click on the little wand and then on the section of the frame that I want to be transparent. The heart in this case. I then save the image again as a whatever.png. I will get a prompt that tells me I already have an image saved as whatever.png and do I want to replace it. I say yes and there you go. A usable mask for PSG.

it works for me in the sample show I made using them but I have to admit that I have not posted it on the photodex site for sharing. I think I will do that just to make sure it come through.

Beth

BethS

mask sample

Postby BethS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:20 am

Hi

Here is the sample I just made.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0715&alb=0

it works

Beth

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:32 am

Beth,

Okay, gotcha. Basically, you're using PPT as an image creator/editor and taking advantage of the fact you already have and know PPT as well as the fact that it is easy to use for manipulating shapes and such. Good idea.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Bill McMahon

Re: ppt mask

Postby Bill McMahon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:28 pm

bnshdl wrote:HI Dick,

Basically, I put together an image on ppt making sure to cover the intended transparant area with a solid color not already in the image I want to use using any shape I want. For example if I want the border of the frame to be black I make sure the center of the border is any color but black. (the actual color of the frame can be changed in PSG using the colorize button).
So far, I make a black rectangle and then a white heart. Now I select all components and group them as one unit. I right click the image and save picture as a whatever.png. I go back to my ppt slide and delete what I just made. Then I insert the newly saved whatever.png image. When that opens the picture toolbar opens. I click on the little wand and then on the section of the frame that I want to be transparent. The heart in this case. I then save the image again as a whatever.png. I will get a prompt that tells me I already have an image saved as whatever.png and do I want to replace it. I say yes and there you go. A usable mask for PSG.

it works for me in the sample show I made using them but I have to admit that I have not posted it on the photodex site for sharing. I think I will do that just to make sure it come through.

Beth

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Beth, I am eally excited to try this procedure tonight when I get home....I just have one question...after you have made the Mask in PPT and save it as a png file, the file resides in PPT. How do you get the file into PSG?
Bill

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Bill -- when she saves it as a PNG it's just an image (saved anywhere you want it to go on the hard drive). At that point you can use it like any other image file and just drop it into a slide and make it a layer.
Dick

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:25 pm

Well I'm still stuck, I create my mask in PPT, then rename it as a .png file and ProShow still doesn't like the file, I get the message that it's not a valid audio or video file? Resaving as a .psh show file gives the same error. I'm missng something basic I guess....please HELP.....

Bill

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:03 pm

Bill --

Okay, lemme try that again and be clearer. The deal is that you don't rename anything. While in PPT use the menu: File/Save As/

Now just change the file type in that dialog from the default of .ppt to .png -- it will be on the drop-down list of file types that powerpoint knows how to create. Save that slide as <whatever name>.png where ever you want it. Launch ProShow and drop it into the ProShow slide show just like any image, which is what the slide became with the "save as" operation.

Dick

alaskaninexile

Postby alaskaninexile » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:35 pm

Beth or Dick,
Would it also work if the PPT slide was saved as a jpg file, or does t have to be a png to work?
Alaskan in Exile

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:07 pm

Yes, it would to get the effect that started the discussion--making a frame/mask where there are transparent portions to reveal a picture underneath. JPG doesn't support transparency whereas PNG and a couple others do.

Just a reminder, the original poster is making clever reuse of her knowledge of PowerPoint but there's nothing here that can't be done in any decent image editor.

Dick

BethS

masks in ppt

Postby BethS » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:38 am

Hi Dick and Bill,

I have been out of town and therefore out of touch here. Thanks Dick for answering (so well) Bill's concerns and questions. The reason I figured all of this out in ppt was that I don't have nor do I want to invest in one of the other editing programs (as wonderful as they seem). I am a "figure it out" kind of girl and loved the trial and error process to get it done in ppt. Mike posted a file I created called "four square." He titled it for producer but I just emailed him that these work just fine in gold. Try them out and let me know what you think.

Beth

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks