Automatic guideline

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Automatic guideline

Postby weekendwarrior » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:02 am

Hi,

When in the PS Gold 4.0 customise your menu screen and navigating items on a layer is it possible to remove the automatic guideline that snaps to items?

I would like to be unshackled to it. :)

Regards,
John

Re: Automatic guideline

Postby im42n8 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:06 am

If you are talking about the horizontal and/or vertical lines that popup up as you move the thumbnail around, no. It doesn't mean you have to use the alignment it gives you when you're moving things around, however. They're just there to help guide you in placement. To "tweak", just adjust the position and/or zoom settings as desired.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby debngar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 am

Hello John,

The grid lines and/or composition lines can be toggled on/off with a right click over the slide option editing preview window and clicking on the check marks next to those options to turn them off (or on) as you wish. There are other options in that right click menu to choose from for further customizing as well. I believe if the snap to grid is turned off, at least the horizontal/vertical drag guidelines are not supposed to snap.
~~~~~~~~~~
Correction to the above - As Dale pointed out, there are no grid line or snap to grid options in Gold, only Producer.
~~~~~~~~~~

Also if you wish to use the arrow keys to nudge, that works too. But there is a bug which makes the method inconsistent in the way it works here versus in slide edit windows. The arrow key by itself can move layers and captions in the menu area along and using SHFT+arrow keys will move layers in larger increments.

But to nudge in the regular slide edit windows, the CTL+arrow key combination is necessary for tiny nudging and the CTL+SHFT+arrow keys are needed for larger increment nudging.
Last edited by debngar on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby im42n8 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:52 am

Gold has no grid lines. Composition lines merely indicate the rule of 3rds for visual reference ... and there is no way to enable any "snap" to them. Grid lines only exist in Producer...

In any case, neither grid lines nor composition lines have anything to do with customizing a menu screen. Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to " ... customize your menu screen..." is when outputting to a DVD, Blu-Ray, or Executable.

Dale

Debngar said:
The grid lines and/or composition lines can be toggled on/off with a right click over the slide option editing preview window and clicking on the check marks next to those options to turn them off (or on) as you wish. There are other options in that right click menu to choose from for further customizing as well. I believe if the snap to grid is turned off, at least the horizontal/vertical drag guidelines are not supposed to snap.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby debngar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 am

Gold has no grid lines. Composition lines merely indicate the rule of 3rds for visual reference ... and there is no way to enable any "snap" to them. Grid lines only exist in Producer...

In any case, neither grid lines nor composition lines have anything to do with customizing a menu screen. Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to " ... customize your menu screen..." is when outputting to a DVD, Blu-Ray, or Executable.

Since Gold apparently has no grid lines feature, as you say, then I stand corrected. That was not something I would expect to be different between Gold and Producer.

If I recall correctly, a menu can be customized when rendering a Presenter version for an an online show without needing to be burned to DVD. I've customized menus in the past when using Gold 2.6 before jumping to Producer shortly after that. I use composition lines when positioning captions and other layers on menus. I haven't created a custom menu in a while though as I haven't bothered to render and upload a Presenter version of a show for few years now, preferring to upload them to YouTube most of the time.

It seems only logical to expect composition lines to show up in the menu area for Gold, to be consistent with the screen in the slide option window in that version of the program. But I've been wrong before. :)
Debbie

Postby weekendwarrior » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:43 pm

debngar wrote:Hello John,

~~~~~~~~~~
Correction to the above - As Dale pointed out, there are no grid line or snap to grid options in Gold, only Producer.
~~~~~~~~~~

Also if you wish to use the arrow keys to nudge, that works too. But there is a bug which makes the method inconsistent in the way it works here versus in slide edit windows. The arrow key by itself can move layers and captions in the menu area along and using SHFT+arrow keys will move layers in larger increments.

But to nudge in the regular slide edit windows, the CTL+arrow key combination is necessary for tiny nudging and the CTL+SHFT+arrow keys are needed for larger increment nudging.

Hi,

Thank you for your help, that fixed it for me by right clicking and unchecking the automatic grid.

Regards,
John

Postby debngar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:39 pm

John,

Glad you were able to shut off the guidelines as you wanted with the right click method. :)
Debbie

Postby im42n8 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 pm

John,

Gold has no grid (much less an automatic one)... are you sure you're not using Producer v4? Also, you referred to "customizing your menu screen" .... a feature that is only available if you are creating a DVD, Blu-Ray, or Executable. Could it be that the "menu screen" to which you refer is really the Slide Options preview screen?

Dale

PS Nudging in Producer 4 doesn't require a CTRL-arrow sequence (though you can use it). That sequence was introduced (for technical reasons) in v5 to perform nudging (nudging doesn't work in v5 without depressing the CTRL key with an arrow key).

The Shift-arrow moves the layers in larger increments as Debbie noted. You can also use the CTRL key with the shift key but it is NOT required (it is in V5 however) There's a bug in v4 that positions a copy of the preview window to the left of the normal preview window position if you change direction from left to right or vice-versa while the CTRL key is depressed).

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks