Need help with zooming - how to

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Need help with zooming - how to

Postby glen4cindy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:05 am

Still fairly new to PSG.....have not created very many shows yet...

I have seen shows where you are focusing on a single individual or couple, and, you inset a photo with this person or couple in the photo alone or with others in it.

Now, I have seen in other slide shows, where the photo "zooms in" for a close-up to focus in on the intended subject or subjects.

I am familiar with moving photos on the screen using starting and ending position and such, but, I am not familiar wtih the method for doing this, and I know it has to be possible with the power of PSG.

Can someone give me a short little explanation on just how to accomplish this?

Thanks so much! I first found this excellent program through reading a review in PC World, and I have never been sorry for making the purchase.

Glen

Esteemed Member

Re: Need help with zooming - how to

Postby quetzal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:49 am

Hi,
See our post and then telling us if it's the effect you want. quetzal

http://www.photodex.com/share/quetzal/aa249mg4

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Glen --

Now, I have seen in other slide shows, where the photo "zooms in" for a close-up to focus in on the intended subject or subjects.

I am familiar with moving photos on the screen using starting and ending position and such, but, I am not familiar wtih the method for doing this, and I know it has to be possible with the power of PSG.

If what you want is a simple zoom into a picture (or zoom out), then you're on the right screen. Double click the image on the timeline to get the slide options. Select the Effects (Motion Effects) tab -- right in the middle of the starting position and ending position part is the zoom slider. Put it where you want it so you've zoomed in to what you want to isolate.

Now if what you want is to have this zoom just isolate a part of the image but not have the zoom effect during the show you, could just use the edit tools to crop it to be just the part you want, the effect is to zoom in.

If you want the audience to see the zoom, the best way to do that is a 3-slide sequence (3 slides that all have the one image). The first slide is the full image with no zoom, the second has the zoom motion (it starts full but ends zoomed) and the third one is the zoomed-in version both start and finish. That way the audience gets to see both ends of the zoom effect. Use a 'cut' transition of zero time between the slides and adjust the time on screen to control the speed of the entire sequence.

Now if that's not what you're looking for, let us know and we'll try again.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby glen4cindy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:34 pm

I'm not wanting to just zoom the whole photo, I am wanting to insert a photo, have the photo stay still for a moment, maybe move slightly with a Ken Burns type effect, and then zoom into one certain person in the photo and hold for a few seconds before moving on to the next photo.

I have seen this done in other slide shows, but, I don't have an example on hand to link to.

Hopefully, I am doing an adequate job of explaining things correctly.

Thanks.

Postby cherub » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:05 pm

Glen,
You explained quite well the effect that you have in mind, and Dick gave you the how to for getting it.
ProShow Gold is limited to one move per slide. Because of this, if you want to create a motion like effect, you must have multiple slides with the same picture in them, and with a cut (0 time) transition between them.

I want to insert a photo, have the photo stay still for a moment, maybe move slightly with a Ken Burns type effect, and then zoom into one certain person in the photo and hold for a few seconds before moving on to the next photo.

This translates into these following slides:
I want to insert a photo, have the photo stay still for a moment = Your 1st slide in which you see your picture on both screens (left and right) of the Motion Effects, exactly in the same exact position. You get the exact position by "Copy Start to End". Duration 2 sec.
Transition: 0 seconds
and then zoom into one certain person = Your 2nd slide starts where the first slide ended (you do this by "Copy End to Next Slide). In the screen on the right, you make your zoom. Duration 2 sec.
Transition 0 seconds
and hold for a few seconds = Your 3rd slide, again that starts where the 2nd ended ("Copy End to Next Slide") and then hold still by "Copy Start to End". Duration 2 seconds.

After this chain of 3 slides, you can insert any kind of transition that you like, and move on to your next picture in the show.

Hope this helps,

Postby glen4cindy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:04 pm

Thank you Mona, you made that much more understandable.

It's the "how" of moving the photo so it zooms in on one particular person that I am having difficulty with.

I'll try it some more, and see if I can't get it figured out....

Thanks so much for getting me started.....

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Maybe what he is looking for is the "magnifying glass" effect ? Where only a portion of an image is zoomed in while the rest of the image stays stationary.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:06 pm

gpsmikey wrote:Maybe what he is looking for is the "magnifying glass" effect ? Where only a portion of an image is zoomed in while the rest of the image stays stationary.
mikey

Perhaps. But that's a bit hard to do in ProShow Gold. It's a classic effect for Producer.

Glen,

Among the built in styles, there are 3 styles named Fill Frame Zoom In.
Apply one such style and see how it's done.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:36 pm

cherub wrote:
Perhaps. But that's a bit hard to do in ProShow Gold. It's a classic effect for Producer.

Agreed, but I was getting the feeling we were not understanding his question completely - I was hoping for either a "yeah, that's what I meant" or "no, that is not what I'm trying to do". It would be really handy if he could point us to an example of just what it is he is trying to accomplish. Like searching with Google, it only takes fractions of a second to locate the correct answer .... but it takes hours to find the correct term to put into the search engine to be able to find that answer (at least that is my experience!) :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks