menu with chapters

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
judy

menu with chapters

Postby judy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 am

I have been trying to learn PSG well enough to decide whether it is the program for me. I was all ready to buy and then was rather startled that I didn't get a DVD style menu that showed the chapters -- it is so handy to be able to start in the middle of a DVD! (When I first didn't get a menu I just put it off to user error, but now have tried in earnest to get one done and it appears that it is not a feature of the program.)

I searched this forum and most of what I found was from a couple of years ago -- so I am hoping there has been an enhancement or people have come up with a good workaround. The one I saw involved having a number of programs that I don't own.

I hope this is the right forum for this post!

Thanks --

Judy

Re: menu with chapters

Postby rpark01 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 pm

Judy,
My understanding is that if you create a DVD output, ProShow creates a dvd menu with 1 chapter entry.
If you make multiple shows (ie one for each "chapter") and include those shows on the menu, you will achieve the desired result.

Postby Ron » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi Judy
Welcome the the group, hopefully you'll find the answers to most/all of your questions. Creating chapters for a single show is not possible as far as I know. Unless you split a show in two or more individual shows and add/create them to a "project" then you will have your menu chapters. "Projects" is proshows way of working with multiple shows or one show split up to resemble individual shows. Then for each show ina "project" you will be able to create a chapter for them.
So just split your show up and save them as individual shows and add them to a project.
Hope this helps
Ron
PS: Don't give up on the software it is pretty good.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

judy

Postby judy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 pm

First, thanks for the replies!

I haven't read about projects yet, however, one thing that came up in my search on this forum was talking about splitting up the slideshow. I have immediate concerns about the music -- seems to me that will be tricky, but the post also said it didn't play through the slideshows without pausing in-between if the user clicked on "play all". Perhaps if it was a project it would not have done that?

Judy

Postby Ron » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Judy
The "Play All" is generally used for Project with mutiple shows and chapters where you can click on each chapter to play that show or part of the show or click "Play All" to play all the chapters or shows. When using just one show (no project or chapters) it makes sense to me to edit the "Play All" to just "Play" under menu captions.
As far as splitting a show and managing the music accordingly - Yes it can be tricky - many here use third party music editors but Producer does have its own where you can edit, fade etc... or maybe use shorter multiple tracks / with Producer you have the freedom to create to your imagination/creativety.
Good Luck
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

judy

Postby judy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:36 am

I did a little test and guess I can live with multiple slideshows, though would really like to be able to jump in perhaps every 5 slides and start there. I do have a music editor if I need to get more fancy than what PSG has.

So, now I am to work on how to get the best resolution, I know it is through the executable so having it included seems the way to go, but my adjustments to the default seemed to make things worse. More fiddling is obviously needed!

Judy

Dizzyman

Postby Dizzyman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:21 am

I don't see a "Project" option on any of the Menu's. Is that feature available with ProShow Gold (4.5)?

Thanks in advance...

judy

Postby judy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:21 am

I assume that project was being used in a generic sense, not a formal "now I am going to create a project" sense. When you go to produce output you can link together a bunch of shows, have an introductory menu, etc. and that could be considered a project for a more dignified term than mish mash!

Dizzyman

Postby Dizzyman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks!

Postby SteveP » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:56 pm

I've taken the ProShow's video output file and used Corel (formerly Ulead) Movie Factory to create chapters from that. You can easily move to any point in the file and make that position be a chapter and have that position's image be the chapter's menu image. You can also have it automatically create chapters every so many minutes. Then the menu configuration tools allow you to reposition and resize the individual chapter images on the menu and add text to each.

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks