Page curl transition from Photo Story 3

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Page curl transition from Photo Story 3

Postby eftilton » Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 am

One of the features I miss in ProShow Gold from Photo Story 3 is the beautiful page curl transition which I frequently use. Has anyone attempted to extract that individual transition file from the PS 3 program files and include it in the ProShow files as a transition option? Might there be a way to do that?

With many thanks from a perennial newbie,

Elizabeth

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Page curl transition from Photo Story 3

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun May 23, 2010 11:22 am

Elizabeth,
Technically, there is no way to take a transition from PhotoStory or any other program and make that transition an integrated part of ProShow.

You could take and put your picture into PhotoStory. Apply the transition, and output an mpeg/avi/mov (depending on what PhotoStory allows) file and use that segment within ProShow.

Some of the slide style vendors have made page curl styles that you can purchase. Technically they are not integrated transitions, but they do the job you are looking for. Unfortunately the best of these techniques require the use of masking and as such are not accessible to Gold.

Sorry I do not have a better solution for you.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby eftilton » Mon May 24, 2010 7:20 am

Vernon, many thanks for your reply. I considered as much so I was afraid to try tinkering with the program files. Just a thought on my part. :? The page curl is one of the transition options in Photo Story and it works very well.

I am grateful for the help and support provided by this forum, for the time and effort spent by experienced users to share their expertise.

Ciao,
Elizabeth

Postby im42n8 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:19 pm

You can create a page curl that's useful . . . maybe not very realistic compared to what you can find in a video editor.

But a simple page curl transition can be built thus:

Create a page curl graphic (or get one from someone) that approximate a curled page corner.
Put your first image on slides 1 and 2 and your next image on slide 3

Make the transition between slide 1 and 2 a cut.
Make the slide time of slide 2 0s
Make your transition between slides 2 and 3 a Wipe (upper left to lower right) and whatever you want for the time (it controls the page curl time)
Put your page curl graphic on slide 2 as the top layer. Set the position start as -50, -50 and to end at 50,50.
You may need to play with the initial and end sizes of the page curl graphic (depending on how large it is) to get it to work for you as you'd like. You may also have to play with the rotation a little. Just depends on the graphic...

The Proshow transition does all the work and the graphic just covers it up so that it looks like the page is being page curled.

Well, that's the gist of it.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby eftilton » Sat May 29, 2010 6:57 am

Thank you, Dale, for your suggestion.

Although I am using ProShow Gold now to produce my family slide shows, there are several features of Photo Story 3 that I miss. I wish there was some way to combine the two programs! :wink:

Elizabeth

Postby trulytango » Sat May 29, 2010 8:02 am

eftilton wrote:... there are several features of Photo Story 3 that I miss.

Elizabeth

Hello Elizabeth

I'm a Producer user, but I get to use Photo Story 3 several times a week in my day job. With the exception of the differing transitions available (the page curl and the flip being two of my favourites) - I can't think of anything else in Photo Story 3 that isn't completely doable in Gold.

If there is something else, other than similar transitioning, that you are trying to achieve In Gold, please post a description and someone is always happy to help.

Regards
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby eftilton » Sat May 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Thank you, Iris. At this time two other Photo Story 3 features come to my mind:

At the right hand edge of the File List are arrows allowing the position of a selected slide to be shifted back and forth. I know that can be done in PSG using the right click menu but I find myself missing the arrow which is quicker to use. Of course this is not a deal-breaker but a good feature.

The “Ken Burns” pan and zoom effect works much better for me in Photo Story. Although I do not use motion effects all that much, I am presently making a PSG show of my son’s dog playing on the beach. It is driving me berserk trying to get the motion I want, which is effortless in Photo Story! It seems helpful to use a border but I do not always want to do that. Finally I have got to where I do the motion in PS3 and then try to reconstruct the slide in PSG. In the end I will likely start over and do the whole show in PS3. Since I have no pet myself maybe this will be my one and only dog show.

I gave some thought to re-creating all my PS2 shows in PSG, but after making some changes in the format from things I learned using PSG, I decided they were just fine where they are. PSG does have more features so I will no doubt continue my family shows in that app.

Thank you, thank you, for the reply.

Elizabeth

Postby trulytango » Sun May 30, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Elizabeth :D

In Photo Story, besides using the arrows (left/right) to move or rearrange your slides, you can also use the click and drag method to reposition a slide i.e. click to select a slide, hold down the mouse button and drag the slide to move it elsewhere. You can use this same method to move an image in the slidelist/timeline in Gold.

Regarding zoom and pan. In Photo Story you will be familiar with the two windows within 'Customise Motion'... well, you have two similar windows within Gold's 'Motion Effects' tab. As with Photo Story, Elizabeth - you use these two windows in Gold to set the start and end points of the motion you require in your slide.

Applying 'Ken Burns' effects in Gold is easy once you know how... especially if you have a scroll wheel on your mouse. It took me a while to figure out this most fundamental feature of Gold, long before I upgraded to Producer, but essentially you can zoom and position your image by working directly on it, within either of the motion effects windows in Gold. Start by using your mouse wheel alone - no need to worry at first about those boxes i.e. pan, zoom X and zoom Y. Once you get used to using your mouse wheel for zooming in on an image or moving one around, you'll notice how the numbers change within those boxes, and that will help you to develop an understanding of how to use those same boxes for fine-tuning or more precise control.

You should also locate Gold's 'Copy Motion Effects' button - it'll be there somewhere, which allows you to copy the end position/size of an image over to the start of the next. As with Photo Story, you can build up a range of effects over a series of slides once you familiarise yourself with this feature. Gavin Hoey has some good video tutorials for Gold on Youtube - here's one that demonstrates effective use of the 'Copy' feature within motion effects.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhotoGavin#p/c/9A5C5A980801633D

Hope that helps
Iris

Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby eftilton » Mon May 31, 2010 6:34 am

Thanks so much for your help, Iris. I am sure that with more practice I will get the hang of it. :)

Elizabeth

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks