Another Newbie On the block... pls help.

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Another Newbie On the block... pls help.

Postby John A » Thu May 20, 2010 10:28 am

Hello everyone,

First I want to apologize, I am most certain this is the wrong place to introduce myself as I am a newbie. I checked the search tabs for 'newbie's' but didn't see a thread started.

My name is John and I've been creating slide shows for years using Windows Movie Maker. I was later turned on to ANIMOTO where I was quit impressed by a colleague's slideshow. It was after my 3rd slideshow I noticed how you are not fully control of the transitions and/or other features. It was more of a "Plug and Play" type software. It is great if one is looking for something 'quick and dirty!' Pics came out okay if you like it a little hazy... sharpness can be achieved for an extra fee which I wasn't too keen about.

PROSHOW GOLD is my newest avenue. I purchased it just last weekend and already having tons of fun. It does what ANIMOTO can do, but I feel like I'm totally in control of the final output. I've been on YouTube getting creative ideas from this gentleman under PhotoGavin, he's like a legend of Proshow. It was recently that I found my way here at PROSHOW ENTHUSIASTS and noticed 10's of hundreds of legends in their own right (btw, this applies to all of you reading this - wink, wink). All the questions that I had before is just a click away. This place is like a hidden gem. I do have one question that I wasn't able to find in the search tabs…. I'm looking for a quick and easy way to make borders around images…. i.e.. birthday, wedding, seasonal, sports or just plain white borders for that matter to look like a "snapshot." I'm sorry for the double dipping if this question has been asked before. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by John A on Thu May 20, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
This site is best!

Re: Another Newbie On the block... pls help.

Postby John A » Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 am

Wow... I just found something... this place is the best...... http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8417

Please forget my orginal question as I will try these illustrated tips seen here on the above link.
This site is best!

Postby Ron » Thu May 20, 2010 11:53 am

Hey John
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see you felt your way around to answer your own question. There is a ton of info in the archives that translates to many read hours. Anyway welcome aboard & Have Fun!
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu May 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Welcome and where ever you introduce yourself is just fine. If that didn't answer the question, it leads to more questions or whatever, just post again. No question too big or too small! For every person that asks there's many, many who didn't ask but benefit when someone does.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby John A » Fri May 21, 2010 9:54 am

Thank yon Ron and Dick for the warm welcome.

Have a great weekend!
This site is best!

Postby gpsmikey » Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 am

Yes, definitely welcome !! Good bunch here and usually someone can figure out how to solve a problem. As someone said in one of the forums I visit the other day - "the only stupid question is the one that was not asked" :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Oldguy » Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Welcome aboard, I'm fairly new also. This is a great forum/people.
They do amazing stuff with Producer!.

Forrest

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby climax » Fri May 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Welcome John! Can't wait to watch your shows!! I love commenting on shows and discover the different styles that everybody have here. We all learn a lot from each other.
Cristina
Cristina

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby climax » Fri May 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Welcome John! Can't wait to watch your shows!! I love commenting on shows and discover the different styles that everybody have here. We all learn a lot from each other.
Cristina
Cristina

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Sat May 22, 2010 12:39 am

Welcome John,

I am active in a few forums and I find this is one of the most civilised and helpful forums around. I am glad that you managed to answer your own question by searching the forum. With your previous experience, you will be able to understand better the workings and tricks of ProShow. I am confident that you will quickly progress to Producer. Just wait and see.

pd
regards.
pd

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:17 pm

John,

First let me welcome you also and even though you say you found something to put boarders around your pictures let me suggest a free program called FrameFun. I don't use it very often, but when I do, it is a fast way to make a simple frame around any picture that I choose.

Here's the link: http://www.hochstrasser.org/wiki/pmwiki ... i.FrameFun

Dan

Postby John A » Tue May 25, 2010 10:18 am

You kind folks are indeed angels from above! Thanks again to all for the warm welcome.

P.S.
Mr. Dan, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the link.
This site is best!

Postby gpsmikey » Tue May 25, 2010 10:29 am

One thing I should mention on putting frames around pictures - while TV's are getting better and more consistent these days (especially the LCD stuff), there is still the problem of "overscan" which is where the whole picture is not actually visible on the screen (which is why the "safe areas" on the layout). If you put a frame around a picture that takes up the full screen on your system, it may be cropped funny on someone elses system resulting in an odd looking frame. If the image you framed is entirely within the "safe area" then there should be no problem with all systems showing it as you intended. As they say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary ... or perhaps Your Monitor May Vary :lol: )
Just something to be aware of.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 26, 2010 6:19 am

Welcome, John! Be assured that every last one of us started out asking what we feared might be stupid questions. In spite of having used the software a long time, I can ask verifiably stupid questions. There was the day I couldn't get my scanner to work, and I screamed for help. Yes, it was plugged in. Unfortunately, I hadn't turned it on. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks