Anti-Flicker. To use or not to use?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
idleworm

Anti-Flicker. To use or not to use?

Postby idleworm » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:19 am

Hi,

This is my first post in this forum. I have something I wanted to share - using anti-flicker for DVD output. My experience is that if the Anti-Flicker option is checked (on), the output is slightly blur, more obvious for text.

I find turning off the Anti-Flicker more pleasing as everything is sharper. I just wanted to know if anyone have similar experience with this. Also, is Anti-Flicker really necessary for modern TV and display unit these days?

Cheers,
B

Re: Anti-Flicker. To use or not to use?

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:01 am

I used anti-flicker just once, then turned it off forever because of precisely the same thing you found. However, there are certain motions that will cause a lot of flicker depending on the photo rather like the pin-stripe suit on a newscaster. Even on modern TV's you'll see this. Though it takes a lot more time to take care of the problem on a picture-by-picture basis, I think it's worth it. One thing that works in a split second is to not pan photos that are prone to flicker. The more involved method is to blur those parts of the photo that are flickering, trying to leave the focal point sharp such as a person's face.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Anti-Flicker. To use or not to use?

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:12 pm

B,
First welcome aboard! I agree with you and Barbara. It's very rare that I see the problem that this is supposed to fix and I never use that function. If I see it I'll attack it on just that image--change the motion speed, change the motion direction, whatever works and I've not encountered (yet?) one where I couldn't get it to the point I stopped caring about it.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks