Vertical Images (Portraits) Sizing for Widescreen??

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
youngone

Vertical Images (Portraits) Sizing for Widescreen??

Postby youngone » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:42 am

Hey Guys

Very new to ProShow Gold and love the results, best I have ever had from any slideshow program but I am still having problems with vertical images or portraits?

I like most people have widescreen TV 16/9 and every time I place a portrait image into the slideshow and then play it back onto any TV they make the image square and distorted? I have the settings for widescreen and the horizontal images look great !

Any ideas on what I can do, at the moment I am trying to re-size the image in Pro Show but they still look wrong.

Is it because I have full sized sensor and so the format of the image is always going to look wrong? I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II?

Or should I just be setting the slideshow to the old TV sizing and put up with the black bars on either side of the screen - which I don't really want to be doing but will if it means I have to have horrible looking portraits.

Many thanks in advance
Chris

Re: Vertical Images (Portraits) Sizing for Widescreen??

Postby bellzerr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:26 am

Chris -
Welcome to the forum.
I don't think your issue has anything to do with your TV. When you play your show from within ProShow on your computer, are the portrait images correct or distorted? If distorted, you likely need to change your "scaling" setting for the layer.
1. Double click the slide on the timeline to bring up the slide options screen.
2. Click the Layers tab, the Layer Settings
3. Now check the setting for SCALING. If it's STRETCH TO FRAME, that's your problem. Use the pull-down box to make a different selection. If this is not the problem, we'll need some more information beginning with my first question: Does the slide playback properly from within ProShow?
Mark

youngone

Postby youngone » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks I will try that for sure, from memory when I play it within Pro Show it seems to be OK, but my screen is not as wide as the TV I guess? I will have a look at those options though thanks !

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Make the show as an exe and look at it on the computer. If everything looks okay then it's not ProShow, most likely it's the settings on your player and/or the TV. Another thing you can try is playing the DVD on the computer--if the EXE was okay then I'd bet it will be fine. My guess is that something is trying to scale the video for the TV and you'll need to turn it off.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

youngone

Postby youngone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:24 am

Thanks heaps everyone, I have got it sorted now onto the next problem which I will post a new topic on.

Cheers
Chris

Postby bellzerr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 am

Hey Chris -
So what was wrong? Tell us so all the readers can learn something. :D
Mark

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks