Basic Question on Audio from a newbie

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
kele

Basic Question on Audio from a newbie

Postby kele » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:05 am

Hi, I have had PSG for a little over a year, and have done some basic slideshows. I am working on one from my family's trip to Disneyworld, and this is the first time that I am attempting to input video (which is really challenging my capabilities, but that is another topic!).

I would like to drop a clip into the middle of the show. I would like to hear the sound from this clip, without the music playing. I would like to, in essence, delay the start of the next audio file until after this clip has played. I would also like to put a video in the beginning with the same features---hearing the audio of the video without background music; and then the music starting after that clip plays.

It is probably easy, but, before I spend a lot of time monkeying around with it, I thought I would ask the experts if they could walk me through the steps.

Thanks!

Kara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Basic Question on Audio from a newbie

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:58 am

Kara,
Welcome to the forum. ProShow has some rudimentary controls on sound. What I would suggest is that you download the Forum Book and read the section on Sound. It will answer most of your questions. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9359 Once you are ready to move up, then we can discuss Audacity.

Regards,
-Vernon

Hatter

Postby Hatter » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:13 am

Welcome to the forum, Kara.
I would edit the soundtrack with Audacity to insert periods of silence where you want the videos to appear and fade the music out/in at the beginning & end of each section of silence.
As Vernon says, look at the "sound" section in the forum book first, then ask if you need help with Audacity.

Gareth

kele

Postby kele » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks! Looked at the book---it looks great. It will be an invaluable resource for me!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Kara,

As long as you want the background level at zero for all cases where there's something else, just go to Manage Soundtrack and set Soundtrack During Other Sounds all the way down, 0%. That should take care of that issue.

The start of the 2nd audio track on the timeline can be controlled in a couple ways--it will end up with the same result, you just get there differently. But as long as you used the Manage Soundtrack option you'll be sitting right on one of them. On the right is a list of your background tracks; select the one you want to delay and put a value in the Offset__From Previous Track box. The other way is to use the visuals right on the soundtrack--Hit Tab; now you can see the tracks and if you select one you'll get a box you can use the Control Key to shift the track and control start, stop and fades. If got 'the book' there's a more complete explanation in their but that's the basics.

Hope that and the book will help!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

kele

Postby kele » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks again!

K.

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks