DVD resolution

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Cyclefitness

DVD resolution

Postby Cyclefitness » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:42 pm

I just opened PSG after a long hiatus. I'm a photographer and was wondering if there are any templates available to do things like is done with Animoto.

ALso, I'm a volunteer photographer with Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org) and I just created a DVD for one of my families. Being a photographer, it disturbs me how grainy the pictures look on the TV screen. We provide the images in print resolution as well as DVD, so I exported all to JPG at 5x7" 280 pixels. I would have expected pretty sharp images?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: DVD resolution

Postby DickK » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:34 am

Not knowing anything about that program I can't comment except to say that templates (a canned layout you apply to an entire show) aren't supported by PS Gold. Although templates are a feature of Producer, I can't say if what it does is equivalent to what to the other program does.

As far as the appearance on a TV goes, it's likely that you're simply up against the limitations of a DVD. The video in a standard definition DVD aren't very high in resolution (roughly 720x480). As long as you selected the high quality options when making the output, how they end up looking is a function of the TV type, it's size (bigger is not better), the DVD player, and the image processing done by both the TV and the player. There are lots of discussions here about it, scan or search the General section and you'll get a lot more information but the bottom line is that there's a limit to what you can do and the limit is outside of ProShow.

As far as the images go, you're better off not resizing them before using them. It may or may not hurt anything but there's almost no good reason to do it. More info:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6024

Hope that will help.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: DVD resolution

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:33 am

You are not likely to find Animoto like effects available for Gold due to the immense amount of keyframining it would require to create the effect. The closest that we currently have for Proshow are a couple of the latest slide styles (Style Pack 2) available for Producer Only from Photodex.

Having used both Animoto and Style Pack 2, I think a little of this goes a long way, so I would be mindful of overuse :) .

Regards,
-Vernon

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks