Trick to make picture shake or wave

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Trick to make picture shake or wave

Postby rita » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:57 am

Hi there-

I have a picture of two girls dancing that I would like to make shake, wiggle, or wave - some movement to make them look like they are dancing and get a laugh. Does anyone have tips on how to accomplish this in PSG?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Trick to make picture shake or wave

Postby DickK » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:56 am

Depends on just what you're thinking of--is the whole picture moving or just them. Either way it will take some fiddlin' but I think it's doable--of course everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it himself and that would be me! ;)

If it's just moving the picture I think what I'd try would be tedious but simple. I'd start with a slide containing the basic shot. Make a copy and set the 'end' position just off a little bit to move the image just a bit, cut transition with zero time. Set the copy's view time short, small fraction of a second. Copy that one, now starting position = end position of prior one and do another move. "Lather, rinse, repeat" until you've got enough slides to create the effect. It will be tricky to get the motions and timing right but a simple shaking/bobbing motion should be doable. Just be careful not to make the motions very big or you might make the audience seasick!

Much harder would be having the girls move since you'd have to do most of the work in an editor to create one or two images that were the cutouts of just them. Those become layers that you can stop-motion-animate on the background.

The basic technique is at least conceptually easy and should work--haven't tried it though so I don't know what devils might in which of the details. Worth trying tho'

Good luck,
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby debngar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:00 pm

Similar to what Dick described, do a cut out of the images and then dupe them on a second slide.

Try flipping one horizontally (done in ProShow) and then copy and past the two slides - regular and flipped images a few times over and over and set the slide times and transitions very short. You might get little what you're looking for.

An example can be seen in this silly little show I made for my grand niece's birthday. The snowman ornament was cut out from the original picture and saved as a png file (so the background is transparent). I think I used the effect a few times throughout the show but you can see it at the very beginning without having to view the whole thing. It first appears about 11 seconds into the show. I actually use Producer but you can easily pull this off in Gold with no problem.

"Olivia Is Three!"
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 9045&alb=0

If you don't care for the flip effect, using a bit of rotation as an alternative could work too. There is also the option of moving the static position of the 2nd image.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby rita » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:51 am

Wow - thanks for the quick response. You are just awesome, I just had in mind making the picture shake, it never occurred to me that I could do more than that like cutting out the girls etc. I don't thnk my Photoshop skills are up to that but I'll keep in mind to give a shot when I have some extra time.....I'm definately going to give the advise you gave for moving the whole picture a shot. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND HELP!!

DickK wrote:Depends on just what you're thinking of--is the whole picture moving or just them. Either way it will take some fiddlin' but I think it's doable--of course everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it himself and that would be me! ;)

If it's just moving the picture I think what I'd try would be tedious but simple. I'd start with a slide containing the basic shot. Make a copy and set the 'end' position just off a little bit to move the image just a bit, cut transition with zero time. Set the copy's view time short, small fraction of a second. Copy that one, now starting position = end position of prior one and do another move. "Lather, rinse, repeat" until you've got enough slides to create the effect. It will be tricky to get the motions and timing right but a simple shaking/bobbing motion should be doable. Just be careful not to make the motions very big or you might make the audience seasick!

Much harder would be having the girls move since you'd have to do most of the work in an editor to create one or two images that were the cutouts of just them. Those become layers that you can stop-motion-animate on the background.

The basic technique is at least conceptually easy and should work--haven't tried it though so I don't know what devils might in which of the details. Worth trying tho'

Good luck,
Dick

Postby rita » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:54 am

Thank you so much for the example. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and share that with me. Your show is awesome and your advice is really appreciated. As a new user I am just blown away by helpful people like you and Dick are. You guys really are wonderful. Thanks!

debngar wrote:Similar to what Dick described, do a cut out of the images and then dupe them on a second slide.

Try flipping one horizontally (done in ProShow) and then copy and past the two slides - regular and flipped images a few times over and over and set the slide times and transitions very short. You might get little what you're looking for.

An example can be seen in this silly little show I made for my grand niece's birthday. The snowman ornament was cut out from the original picture and saved as a png file (so the background is transparent). I think I used the effect a few times throughout the show but you can see it at the very beginning without having to view the whole thing. It first appears about 11 seconds into the show. I actually use Producer but you can easily pull this off in Gold with no problem.

"Olivia Is Three!"
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 9045&alb=0

If you don't care for the flip effect, using a bit of rotation as an alternative could work too. There is also the option of moving the static position of the 2nd image.

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks