Easiest Way To Replace Images

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Easiest Way To Replace Images

Postby glenn71x » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:48 pm

What is the easiest way to replace images on slides? For example I have an end of the school year slideshow from last year that I would like to use again to keep the same basic format. I obviously would like to replace the images from last year with this year. Is there any easy way to do this? I guess it is sort of like using last years show as a template?

Thanks

Re: Easiest Way To Replace Images

Postby sheldonk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Some might think this is an off the wall idea but here goes. Lets say you have 100 pictures in last years show. In other words the show points at 100 pictures in a directory on your computer. If you replace those pictures with 100 different pictures that have the same names and open the show. Voila!

The hard part is to "map" old picture and "new" picture.

Sheldon

Postby HunnyB » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:09 am

To me it doesn't matter if your show has a blank square image box, or the actual image,
you are still going to have to "select image" and replace it.
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby marmart » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:16 am

If you make a copy of last years show and then make it a template, shouldn't you just be able to drop the new pix in?? It's been awhile since I worked with templates so I kind of forget.

Mary

Postby HunnyB » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:20 am

Won't you still have to SELECT the image either way?
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby debngar » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:31 am

marmart wrote:If you make a copy of last years show and then make it a template, shouldn't you just be able to drop the new pix in?? It's been awhile since I worked with templates so I kind of forget.

Mary

Gold doesn't have the custom template feature that Producer has and the user still has to replace the images one by one regardless as Hunny pointed out.

Not sure if Gold has the drag and drop replacement feature though. Producer allows the user to take a file from the list and if placed directly over a current image layer in the editing window, it will replace it. Still though, it's a one at a time process.

Assuming Glenn71x has Gold since this post is in the Gold section, that would be the only choice at this point.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 am

Glenn,
Sheldon's suggestion will work for Gold. ProShow uses the hard drive path and file name to locate your image. They are not stored in your show. That is why if you move your images to another directory, ProShow will complain that it can not find them and offer to let you locate them. Soooooooo... if you rename the new pictures to match the old pictures, you can make the transition easily.

Also, you can use the ProShow Reader from the Member Created Files area to list the pictures and the slide order of your old show. You can then use that document as the basis for mapping your new show.

Best of luck,
-Vernon

Postby marmart » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:29 am

Gosh darnit, I did it again - sorry, I answered not noticing it was PSG. I promise to look before posting!!

Mary

Postby glenn71x » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Wow Sorry everyone
I didn't realize I posted in the Gold Forum. I have producer. I will move this over there....
So same question with Producer? Is it easier?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:11 pm

The answer is not noticeably different. The only difference is that in Producer you could save your show as a Template as Mary mentioned. Then you could drag and drop your pictures onto the layers. But the drag & drop capability is also built into Gold. Plus, with templates, there is still this issue of files randomly changing in your show if you do some copying and pasting. Photodex is working on a solution, but it has not been posted yet.

-Vernon

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks