File order

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
hootowls

Re: File order

Postby hootowls » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 am

entanik beat me to it. We had a family trip to New York, using three different camera. I dumped all the images into one folder, used Irfanview and ran a batch file to rename based on exif.

One trick though. Make sure all cameras are set for correct time and date. My son's camera was not set for DST and mine was. Changing EXIF is a whole new issue!!

hootowls

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:01 pm

hootowls wrote:... used Irfanview and ran a batch file to rename based on exif..."

Okay, I give up--I've got IrfanView and use it all the time. I know it can do a batch rename but how did you get it do to a rename with EXIF data? I missed that apparently.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Dick !! In the batch rename settings dialog, click the options button, then click the "help" button on the options dialog. There are all sorts of tags in there for date/time/whatever. I use a different utility, but there is lots of stuff there in Irfanview for the IPTC and EXIF tags :wink:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Oh, there... of course, I knew that .... well, okay, not even close. Not the most user-friendly way to do it but then that's not IrfanView anyway once you get beyond the basic viewing functions. But it's all (!) there and it worked. Just did a pass through a directory to change a couple hundred. Clumsy changing what I've already done so I probably won't bother but it's nice knowing it's there.

Thanks Mikey!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:53 am

Heh - don't feel bad - I didn't know it was there until it was mentioned here and I went looking for it ... snooping under all the rocks to see what I could find :lol: One thing that I did notice that is handy is the string substitution portion -- the tool that I use also has that feature and I use it to replace the camera model from the EXIF data with the name of myself, wife, daughter etc so that it is very easy to find all pictures shot by Jan for example. It also makes sure I don't end up with two pictures with the same name shot at the same time by two different cameras. And yes, you do have to make sure everybody has their camera clocks set correctly (had to undo that several years back when one of them was wrong by an hour).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

BAGBAG

File order / Sort by Date Taken

Postby BAGBAG » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Would it be MUCH simpler if ProShowGold included the ability to SORT BY DATE TAKEN? Has this feature been requested? I would think most people would find it very handy. THe problem I run into is that if I use an external editor to make changes to a picture the sort by Date Modified screws up the sort.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Well, if not before I think you just did :)

Seriously, I checked the Requested Features section and it's there. They've probably seen it--will it get added? well that's another story but they've added a few things we've asked for so it's not out of the question.

Dick

Previous

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks