Using Layers

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Bill McMahon

Using Layers

Postby Bill McMahon » Wed May 27, 2009 9:09 am

I have been a very satisfied user of ProShow Gold for about 2 years and I read this forum every day during my lunch, and now I will finally ask this dumb question...Having access to various layers in a single slide is nice ...... but how/what is the best way to use this powerful feature? I've played with the feature a few times but never was able to achieve anything that I couldn't otherwise do with a series of single slides. I know I am missing something but please, can anyone provide a few examples of what can be done with layers that can't be done with multiple slides?
Bill

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Using Layers

Postby briancbb » Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 am

Bill

I'm not a Gold user and 'layers' are much more powerful in Producer, but, a use in Gold could be as simple as putting two portrait pictures side by side on one slide. Using multiple slides these could then be made to appear together or as single picture, change one at a time, or disappear together or sequencially.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Wed May 27, 2009 11:04 am

Go into the PSG sample shows forum and check out some shows, I'll bet you find a lot of neat ideas for things you can do with the layers in slides, I know I do!
TinaJ
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 am

I still can't see the advantages of layers on a single slide, or is it just a short cut to creating an effect(s) that can be done with several slides. I guess if I have any "creative juices" they just are not flowing right now....

Postby mrdcambs » Wed May 27, 2009 12:24 pm

Bill: go to Mona's website here http://seemonasblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/p19.html and check the effects that are possible in PSG using layers by clicking on some of the offered templates (e.g. 'Grid of 4 Pictures' or 'Stacking Pictures', and others). You could not achieve these in PSG by using a series of single slides.

Regards - Mike - UK

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed May 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Bill -- maybe I'm missing something but even simple stuff like having two or more pictures on the slide, which I use all the time, can't be done without layers (or using an editor to combine the pictures into a composite which is much more work). Essentially, "all" layers gives you is the ability to get multiple pictures on the slide at the same time. If you don't need that, then layers won't be useful. Oh, and all the slide styles--more layers, lots of them. Frankly, that's the best thing that happened to PSG since version 2.6 though and I can't imagine doing a show without it now.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Fri May 29, 2009 9:37 am

Trying to relieve my frustrations ....last night I tried again, placing the image from slide 1 and the image from slide 2 as separate layers, both on slide 1. I then create movement of the image of layer 2 toward the image of layer 1. When played back I see two images merging together. Have I got it right so far? Should I first remove the background of layer 2 (using PSE) to make the motion more obvious? Am I on the right track?
Bill

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat May 30, 2009 9:23 am

Can't say because it's not clear to me anyway what effect you're trying to create... what's the result to look like?
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Putting 2 images side-by-side is simple as you've found.

Slide one should have the images static (side by side, one at -20,0 and the other at 20,0, for instance) ... give the folks a bit of time to see what the images are.

Slide two (using a cut transition) would then be the one where you mov image 2 toward image 1 ... leaving room for a caption on the side as image 2 (layer 2) moves beneath layer 1 (image 1). Image 2 may or may not be the same size as image 1. Hopefully it's the same or very close....

Slide three would be the one where layer 1 (image 1) is the only one seen now since layer 2 should be beneath layer 1 (actually you no longer need layer 2 on slide 3 now!).

There ya go! You got it! :)

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks for the help ( and patience) ....I think I've got it now. I read this forum every day but haven't been actively working on making my own shows for a while so I've lost lost creative imagination ...

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks