Using PSG Extras

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Using PSG Extras

Postby JARHTMD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:59 am

I'm still using PSG3.2. I've created several shows; nothing fancy, mostly just to showcase my photography to camera club, family & friends. I've not used much movement, special effects, etc; just plain vanilla stuff. Actually, I don't make nearly as many shows as I'd like to. They're fun to make, but so little time. Between shows I spend more time here . . . it's just good reading & full of ideas & info.

Who knows, I may have more time & want to get "fancy" sometime in the future, so I downloaded TrulyTango's Easels and Photodex's PSG extras (all of them). I was surprised that Photodex downloaded & installed, rather than just saving to folder(s) & providing instructions for installing. Anyway, I've searched around & located the downloaded files in the PSG folders/subfolders. Since I may upgrade PSG &/or my computer (& just as backup), I guess I should create backup copies of those folders/files. Then, if I should have to re-install, would I simply copy the backups into the appropriate locations?

Second (& most important) . . . how do I use them? The downloaded extras included several "menu packs". I've located the .jpg & .pkg files, but what do I do with them? Are borders used simply as layers that images are placed into? Styles (as in Iris' Easels) implies, to me, more than that, expecially since some of hers are "PSP only".

I seem to do things the hard way & miss the forest because of the trees, etc. I'm not asking for an in depth course in PSG, just hoping to be pointed in the right direction. Maybe my 1st step should be printing the Forum Book & PSG manual (as suggested in another post) for "away from computer" browsing.
Canon EOS 40D, 20D, 60D; Photoshop CS3; PSG 3.2(build 2047)

Re: Using PSG Extras

Postby trulytango » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:57 am

Hi there

I'm a bit short on time so if I may, I will address the part of your post that simply relates to the slide styles I created. Styles are a feature of version 4 so I'm afraid my Easels (.pxs files) are unsuitable for you at the present time in version 3.2. Incidentally, the Easels are supplied in two formats i.e they're suitable for both PSG and PSP users... the PSG version is simply a static display whereas in the PSP version the images appear on the easels in stages via key frames, but my other styles are a little too complicated for PSG use.

If you would like to send me your e-mail address via PM, I will send you the Easels graphic(s) - they are similar to Photodex's borders in that you place them as a top layer over your images... you will of course have to size and position your images individually to display in the easel apertures - but that's the beauty of slide styles, they're a quick-fix, almost instant result because all the effort (besides some minor tweaking) has been done in the creation stage.

Happy ProShowing!
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby Barbara_K » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:04 pm

The new menu packs will be available when you output a show that has a menu. They will be shown in the list of themes on the Menu tab if you have chosen "All themes" in the dropdown box.

Slide styles were a feature added with PSG v.4 so you will not be able to use them with PSG 3.2. I've never used the borders included with PSG but you would just use them as a layer on top of an image to create a framed effect.

Barbara

Postby JARHTMD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks, Iris & Barbara, for the quick replies. I "knew" the answers would probably be pretty straight forward. PSG is an amazing program, tho' sometimes I can't see what's staring me in the face.

Jim
Canon EOS 40D, 20D, 60D; Photoshop CS3; PSG 3.2(build 2047)

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks