Newbie questions for Proshow Gold

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Newbie questions for Proshow Gold

Postby bettei » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:35 am

I have downloaded the free version for trial to see if I like the program before I buy it. Although I have other slideshow software, this one looks like it will do more with videos than my old one.

But already I have questions. I have 120 scanned pictures to put into a show that are arranged in the order I want them, yet when I import them to Proshow, they are scrambled in order. So I opened up the Lightbox feature, but you can only preview 12 slides that way? My old program showed thumbnails of the whole show, and you could just drop and drag them to where you wanted them. So do you have any hints on an easier way to order that many pictures in a show? Can you assign a number to the picture, and place it that way in a show? Where are the templates stored for an opening frame?

And after you complete a show and save it, does Proshow keep that copied to your computer even after you have deleted some of the folders you have drawn pictures from to make it with, or do you have to keep the pictures in the "My Pictures" section of your computer? Also, while I could figure out how to add music files to a show, is there a music "library" in Proshow that I could store songs in rather than searching your computer everytime for these files?

And lastly, probably a really dumb question, but can you save videos from the older style video cameras (non-digital) to your computer and incorporate clips of them in Proshow? I know you can do it with digital camera video clips, but wondered if there was a way to use the older type. I have the XP Media edition.

Without a manual, I am kind of lost...as you can tell. so any advice will be appreciated.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Newbie questions for Proshow Gold

Postby TinaJ » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:50 am

Welcome to the group! You will learn tons of interesting things here.
First, I would number my pics in the order I plan on putting them in the show. Usually use a mix of numbers and letters, for instance, for my cruise, i would use 1FR0409-first pic, freedom, april 2009. Then save them all in a folder labeled freedom09. That should put them in the order you want. You will need to keep the pics and folder on your computer til you are done making shows and burning.
Next, Gold doesn't use templates like Producer, but you can use the slide styles to do some neat tricks. I haven't convinced myself to upgrade yet.:)
As for music, I keep all mine in my music folder, part of my vista desktop, and I have set preferences to that folder, so it always opens to it. There I have stuff in folders for particular categories and artists. Don't decide to move them into folders after you've started a show, or you will have to hunt them down again, just like the pictures!!
With the video, you need some kind of converter that will work with your camera and computer I think. I've only ever added digital video, so not sure how that works.
Hope all that helped and wasn't too much gobbledygoop!!
Tina
(off for cruise vacation today!! Be back in a week!!)
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

Postby bettei » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:25 am

I do put all of my pictures in named folders, and have them arranged the way I want them to appear into a show. But when I go to import them to a slideshow program, they scramble a little.
I have even batch renamed and numbered the whole folder, and still the same thing happens. So it makes it hard to sort your pictures in the order you want when you are editing them for a slideshow. Sorting through tiny thumbnail images is hard on your eyes. :(

So what is the easiest way to bring up a photo that is at the bottom of your slideshow list, and drop it where you want it, if you can't drop and drag?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:22 am

Welcome to the forum.

The photos will be seen in the folder in alpha/numerical order. But remember number 2 will come between 19 and 20, it would have to be numbered 02 to be incorrct sequence.

Once you have completed a show, output it to DVD there is no need to keep the photos or music unless there is the possibility you want to edit the show at a later date. However there is a 'Collect' feature within Gold that collects together all the resources that you have used in a show for saving to DVD or some other media. Note it only collects what you have used.

The 'Forum Book' you will find a good read http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewt ... =15&t=9359 This explains many things in a easy language. Note it was written for version 3.x so requires a little thought to be v4 compatable.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks