Importing video clip from DVD

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Importing video clip from DVD

Postby woszczyna » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:50 am

Hello,

I just purchased Proshow Gold. I'm wondering if I can import a video chip from a DVD into my slide show? Can the vidoe clip be trimmed in PSG?

Thank you,

Al Woszczyna

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Importing video clip from DVD

Postby TinaJ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:26 am

I would think if it was your own, you could try it. I've saved different vids of my grandkids to disk, with that assumption, but have not tried it. You can do a simple trim in PSG. HTH
Tina
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

Postby woszczyna » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:41 am

It will be a video clip that will be given to me on tape. I will then convert it to a DVD (using my Macrosystem - Kron). Would like to take the DVD and play it on my PC which has PSG.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:35 am

Welcome to the forum.

If you convert video to DVD format you should end up with two folders on the DVD, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. Open the VIDEO_TS folder and you will find .VOB files. These .VOB files contain the video and sound. Rename the file from .VOB to .mpg and you should be able to import them into PSG.

NOTE these .vob files can be nearly 1Gb in size. Trimming them in PSG does not trim the size. I would suggest trimming in another video editor and resaving to reduce the size to only that required.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby SherryJB » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:39 am

Wow Brian, great information thank you so much. You have great techie knowledge and I'm just beginning to scratch the surface on video. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry B.

Postby woszczyna » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:28 am

Hi Drian.

I was able to find four VOB files (VIDEO_TS, VTS_01_1, VTS_01_0 & VTS_01_2). Can you please explain (in detail on how to rename them to .mpg files.

I could not find the option to rename

Do you need to do this to all (4) VOB files.

I called PS support and the guy told me the only way that you can import DVD's into PSG is you need to buy additional software.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 am

Hi

Your files that contain the video and sound are the VTS_01_0, VTS_01_1 and VTS_01_2. When a DVD is played on a player these files are played in sequence, so the VTS_01_0 is the beginning and VTS_01_2 is the end of the video. You will find the first two files are around 1Gb in size :oops: and the last some smaller size to complete the video.

The .vob extension cannot be changed while these files ar on a DVD, so they will need copying to the computer hard drive (suggest thay are put in a folder somewhere). Once on the hard drive open the folder and just change the .vob at the end to .mpg (VTS_01_0.VOB becomes VTS_01_0.MPG), capitals or lower case it doesn't matter.

The VTS_01_0 part could also be changed if you wish to something easier, say, Video01 so it would be Video01.mpg, video02.mpg, etc. Now really you could now do with a video editor program to trim the start and ends of the clip and reduce the large file size before import into PSG. If you import this large file into PSG it will take a long time and when trimmed the file size does not decrease :cry: it just places 'markers' at the required start and end.

A video editor, free, you could look at is 'avidemux'. Takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it is OK for trimming. Read the help files and just play. If I remember right avidemux will read the .vob files directly and mpg can be chosen as the output. Another way would be to use Windows Movie Maker, free with XP or Vista.
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby woszczyna » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Brian,

I spoke to several people. I was told that you can't simply just change the name to .mpg, that you must convert it to mpg. What do you think?

I was able to obtain a program called DVD FAB. I'm hoping to try it out soon.

Thanks,

Al

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:12 pm

Al (good to know someone by their real name)

I have used this method many times. A .vob file has the same structure as a .mpg.

Just try loading one .vob file to your Hard drive, change the extension to .mpg and Windows Movie Player will play it :D
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby Ron » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:30 pm

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11184
this thread might help - i had a similar issue and brian helped me through it - renaming works
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby woszczyna » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:17 pm

I've tried renaming the file from _VOB to .mpg. What ever I do, the VOB files stay as VOB. I can't change any of them to .mpg.

Can someone please explain on the steps to do this. I'm running Vista.

Thanks

Al

Postby Ron » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Have the files been transfered to your hard drive / desktop?
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:14 am

Al

First of all I assume you have, as Rich pointed out and I said earlier, put the files on your hard drive. You cannot change a file on a DVD.

Do you have the viewing of file extensions enabled? If not go to 'Control Panel/Folder Options' and the 'View' tab. On the 'View' tab ensure 'Hide extensions for known file types' is unticked (about the 10th item down).

If the file is on your hard drive and you can see the extension, you can change it (just do not do this willy nilly). With Vista there will be a warning asking if you really want to do this, just accept this warning.
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby woszczyna » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:46 am

Thank you, going into control panel did the trick. My new problem is I can't seem to drag and drop the video clip into my time line in PSG. I guess I need to keep on playing.

Thanks again,

Al

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:16 am

Al

That's good, we are progressing.

Look at my message about seventh post down. Can you import into Windows Movie Maker? As the file is about 1Gb there will be difficulties loading it into PSG. Load it into WMM and trim to size there. The reduced file should then load into PSG. Or use 'Avidemux', a free download, to trim the file to size.
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Next

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks