Importing video clip from DVD

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Re: Importing video clip from DVD

Postby ardentbuzz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi
I am also having problems importing a vob file
I wish to imprt several movies of horse races to make a promotional video and include a slide show
I have tried renaming the file extension and also converting to an avi and also to a windows media movie file.
None of these have worked sucsesfully. The avi file imported ok but the audio on the file that played with windows media player was missing.

Dont know what to try next and i find it very frustrating

One more question In edit\preferences\external editors how do you set the editor to default or can you set it to
any editor on the copmutor

Postby bettei » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 pm

briancbb wrote:Hi

Your files that contain the video and sound are the VTS_01_0, VTS_01_1 and VTS_01_2. When a DVD is played on a player these files are played in sequence, so the VTS_01_0 is the beginning and VTS_01_2 is the end of the video. You will find the first two files are around 1Gb in size :oops: and the last some smaller size to complete the video.

The .vob extension cannot be changed while these files ar on a DVD, so they will need copying to the computer hard drive (suggest thay are put in a folder somewhere). Once on the hard drive open the folder and just change the .vob at the end to .mpg (VTS_01_0.VOB becomes VTS_01_0.MPG), capitals or lower case it doesn't matter.

The VTS_01_0 part could also be changed if you wish to something easier, say, Video01 so it would be Video01.mpg, video02.mpg, etc. Now really you could now do with a video editor program to trim the start and ends of the clip and reduce the large file size before import into PSG. If you import this large file into PSG it will take a long time and when trimmed the file size does not decrease :cry: it just places 'markers' at the required start and end.

A video editor, free, you could look at is 'avidemux'. Takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it is OK for trimming. Read the help files and just play. If I remember right avidemux will read the .vob files directly and mpg can be chosen as the output. Another way would be to use Windows Movie Maker, free with XP or Vista.

I have a very similar problem trying to edit and decrease the size of a VTS file so I can use it in a slideshow. I tried a program called Video Pad, and while it looked like I got what I wanted clipped out and I saved/sent/ the shortened clip to "My Pictures". It opens and plays there just like I want it to appear in my slideshow. However, when I went to import that edited clip to PSG, the whole big file plays again, not just the piece of it I want.
So I went to layers/trim video, and moved the sliders where I wanted them, clicked ok. Then I did edit/copy/...then edit/paste. And while I can get the copied slide to appear in the sequence, it still is too long. I can't cut it down to the length I want it. It also wants to open with my Windows Media player, even after I went to "open with" and browsed for PSG.
I am so close to getting that clip I want, but have been so frustrated in editing it. Any help would be appreciated.
I hope it is ok to get into someone else's thread, but the problem is so similar I had to quote you.
Thanks

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi, I don't know Video Pad, but just had a look at the website. I must investigate this software later, it looks good, and is for free :D

I'm not sure what the problem is in your case, but Proshow seems to still be seeing that full file and not just the shortened clip (fairly obvious, this is what you said :oops: ). The question is why?

I see no reason why an editor that has the features of Video Pad would maintain a whole file after trimming, so hopefully that is OK as you can play the shortened clips.

I think PSG is holding the full clip in cache, I assume you are just modifying a show. Try deleting the 'showname.pxc' file (where showname is the name of your show). This will delete the cache and it will be rebuilt.

If this does not work, exit Proshow and delete proshow.phd and proshow.cfg files from the program file (C:/Program Files/Photodex/ProShowGold) These files will be recreated when you restart Gold.

Hopefully one or the other will cure the problem as it looks like Gold is still seeing the full size clip.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby bettei » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:16 pm

It might be that I did not edit it correctly at Video pad, but like I said, my Media player plays it just right after I sent it there from Video pad, so that is why I wondered why PSG is seeing the full file. I asked Video pad that question, and they never responded. I might try again, but not knowing that much about computers, I found it hard to explain what my problem was. So when I found this thread...Eureka!

When you say delete the showname file, do you mean I have to go to program files and find it in PSG, or can I find it in the edit buttons in the top menu bar? Does deleting the cache delete the pictures and how I added them in order, so I would be starting all over again in building it? I watched the YOutube video about video editing, and can you explain to a novice like me why PSG won't end it where I want it to end? After setting the markers for starting and ending, was there anything else I needed to do in that step besides clicking ok? (before going to edit, etc) The instructions said something about "clicking buttons" or something.

Ironically, the only reason I bought PSG is that my old cheap slide show software would not read the video file at all, and your trial program opened it, so I thought my troubles were over. So this PSG is all new to me and totally confusing, and if you can talk me through this video clip nightmare, I would be very grateful. There are so many bells and whistles in this program, I am a little overwhelmed that I can get a slideshow completed for a graduation in a few weeks. Too much for my old brain to absorb in a short time.

So I will try deleting the cache tomorrow, provided I can find it. :?: And thank you!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:22 pm

The cache file is where you have saved your show. You will have a .psh file, DO NOT delete this file, this file tells Proshow how to build your show. There will also be a .pxc file, delete this one.

To see these extensions you may have to turn off the 'Hide known file extensions' in Control Panel/Folder Options.

If deleting the cache file does not work, make sure Proshow is not running, go to where the program is installed and delete the other two files mentioned in my above thread. These two files hold information for Proshow as to the file structure of your computer and where to find resources. They will be reconstructed when Proshow is restarted.

Hope this helps.

I would need to play with Video Pad to ensure you are using this correctly, but I think you are as you can play the smaller clips in a player.
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby tdew » Mon May 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi all,

I am thrilled with the new knowledge that a .vob extension can be changed to an .mpg and will play!
but I need a bit of help with the audio portion of the DVD.

I have a DVD of a group of people, but only want to keep the ones that we know. The Video file that I changed to MPG works great, but there is not sound.

The files I have are
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB (now - but was VOB) this is just a title page.
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.MPG (now - but was VOB)
VTS_01_0.2.mpg (now - but was VOB)

Is there a way to change the sound files as well as the video files - did I miss a steop, or do I bring one of the other files onto the audio line in my video editor?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon May 04, 2009 3:46 pm

The only two files you should be interested in are the last two. These two files should have the video and sound.

Have you tried playing these two files in Windows Media Player? If so do they play, and are they with sound? If not you may be missing a codec.

Just looked at your file names they should be VTS_01_0.mpg and VTS_01_1.mpg . The last file you have lised has a . too many.

I assume you did copy the files to a harddrive. Once renaming the extension you can of course just call them whatever you like in front of the dot, for instance file1.mpg and file2.mpg.
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby tdew » Tue May 05, 2009 3:47 am

Thank you very much Brian,
I figured out what the problem is - the sound was silenced on the DVD in the first place.

We visited Orlando recently and some of the family tried out indoor skydiving. It's VERY LOUD because of the air volume required to lift people up. Part of the deal was a dvd filming of the session. It's not fancy, but they just silenced it. I've cut it apart and added music to the segments I want to keep.

That's really a neat trick - VOB = MPG Thanks.

Terry

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue May 05, 2009 4:54 am

Terry

Pleased to have been of help.
Take care
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Previous

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks